6500 display brightness

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I just noticed that the display on my 6500 is very dim. Is there a brightness adjustment hidden in the setup section? Otherwise, he radio works just fine
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 394 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1529 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
Try the up arrow on the front panel four-way switch. Should step through brightness levels.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 394 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Thanks - I never knew that existed!
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 394 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Seems like that was a temporary fix. It reverted back to dim.
Photo of Kevin K4VD, Elroy

Kevin K4VD, Elroy

• 775 Posts
  • 171 Reply Likes
Maybe a profile backup and a reset of the radio?
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 344 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
probably kind of screen saver
OLED may burn so after some time it drop down luminosity a bit  ,on key click or power on it resume to full bright 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
It is intended to extend the life of the OLED display
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 394 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
I can't believe I never noticed it before.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 394 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Flex guys, I've got a very uneasy feeling that my display is on the way out. Even at full brightness it's barely visible and the brightness is not even. the last three digit are visibly darker. Since I believe my radio is our of warranty, can I order a new display? I really hate to be without the radio and the cost of shipping it.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
Open a HelpDesk support ticket so we can determine the best course of action.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1406 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
When it dims a single touch of the center button should restore the brightness, to whatever you had it adjusted to. I think Marc is right about it being a screensaver type of function.

The OLED display might get seriously useless, if it burned out before it ever got used for any later features added to the radio firmware. I already know the model name. Should I forget it, there is a backup record of it in the upper righthand corner of the front panel. Most of the time I can remember my callsign. Nickname's, I've got quite a few, and answer to many of them, but seriously, a Post-It note would have been adequate, and slightly cheaper than a front panel nickname display.

But someday, the front panel display might be able to display useful information, such as the numerical value of the control I'm busy adjusting, or maybe SWR, supply voltage, or the current S-Meter value. When It can, It might be better if it's not already burned out.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 394 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Ok tnx