Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 crashing on computer restart

Don WB3FTQ
Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
just got a Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1 up and running. many times when i shut down SSDR but leave the radio on after i restart the PC when i try to connect to the 6500 it loses the connection and i have to power down the 6500 and bring it back up. anyone else seeing this?

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Don, this also happens to me, if I don't start my router first, then my notebook and then the Flex-6500.

My network setup is:
    Router (DHCP, for the 6500 static IP) - Ethernet switch - notebook and 6500.
    I can easily setup a connection between 6500 and notebook only, but if I start my router as a DHCP server later, the 6500 crashes and has to be restarted.

Because of this behavior, which can easily be avoided, I think it is an IP problem and the 6500 loses connection.

I have had fewer of these crashes since I told my router to reserve a static IP to the 6500.

I have a very old (10 years...) Siemens router which works quite well with a rewritten Linux firmware.

Interestingly I also had to reserve static IP's for my Android smartphones and tablets, connected by WLAN of course. My notebooks and my main server all use DHCP and have no connecting problems at all, whether by cable or by WLAN. Weird...

73, Alex DH2ID
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    thanks, Alex. it is certainly worth looking into. 73
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Don - I had some similar disconnect issues. Turned out my ethernet switch (16 port) was the issue. I ended up moving the radio and main computer connection to the primary routers 4 ports. The router then is also connected to the ethernet switch for all the other stuff. That way if the 16 port switch "blinked", it didn't affect the radio/computer. It would obviously loose connection to printers and other computers, which I don't much care about.

Network drives, printers and other computers re-connect if the switch blinks, but the radio/computer does not. So, I believe the switch was ocassionally "blinking", and I just isolated it out. I don't know if in a future release SDR can be written to try and re-connect before it gives up the "lost connection" message.

With the "reliable" switch, I haven't had a random disconnect in weeks. Before it was pretty much daily!

Brent - W8XG  (formerly NB4AP)

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very good idea, Brent: ... in a future release SDR can be written to try and re-connect before it gives up the "lost connection" message" ....
    I haven't yet tried to connect the radio directly to my router, as the router is quite far away, but as I said, the "lost connection" issue is no real problem for me, if I start everything in the correct sequence.

73, Alex DH2ID
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    my radio is connected to my 4-port router directly. i also forgot to mention that i was using WIndows XP Pro on the old PC and i did not experience the same thing. only occasionally would i i get a disconnect on reboot. i will say this, that of all the software i have installed on the new PC SSDR was the easiest followed by WSJT-X, and the HRD suite of programs.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    The issue of a Reliable Switch is a well know issue

It is usually caused by consumer grade switches having a "GREEN ENERGY" function that turns off the power on an "idle" port.  The more expensive switches have the ability to turn off the Green Funcion.

If possible turn OFF the green energy function on your ports. 
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Don

I have the same Dell 8700 XPS "Great machine BTW" It did do the same thing because as Uncle Howard stated there energy saving on the network is turned on. Just turn that off and your in business. NO More crashing from that small issue.

Ian
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    just turned it off. thanks to everyone for their input. 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.