It seems that since the 2.6.0 update the antenna tuning is going places (crazy).
I am using an MFJ 993B external tuner and it seems that since update 2.6.0 the Flex 6500 (which is in Byp mode) very often believe there is no Bypass and SWR is just shooting up over 10. MFJ tuner cannot handle it.
I am switching back and forth the Byp/internal tuner of Flex and then for a while everything is OK. Then again.
Factory resetted tuner, tested also with a second rig of 100W and working fine.
Changed the whole Coax, redone the connectors, tested antenna etc. Going nuts here.
It all narrowed down to Flex. Something had changed.
I just wonder if anyone had a similar issue and what would be the next step.
I have updated to v 2.6.1 believing that would correct the issue but no luck.
Going back to v2.4.9 is a no go for the same reason that I would not downgrade to Windows XP just because W 10 sucks :-)
Little help here please.
Rig was sent a few months back to Flex Service for Fan Kit renewal and test super fine on all parameters. So I would exclude a hardware issue.
MFJ tuner is also new. Coax is M&P Ultraflex.
Thanks for the great support of this Community
1. Clear all ATU memories
The First Time on a given antenna / frequency
1. Check the 6300 SWR with the Tune button
2. Select the ATU button, wait until it stops tuning
3. Check the SWR with the Tune button
4. If the SWR is not acceptable, turn off the ATU button and go to step 2.
Later use at the same antenna / frequency.
1. Verify the SWR with the tune button
2. If the SWR is not acceptable, go to the First Time above
Once stored in memory, the settings seem to be held and remembered well. I use global profile entries as short cuts for per band / mode settings (e.g. 80m ft8, 20 m ft8, 20 m phone, etc.).
I have observed the ATU tuning does not always take the same amount of time to complete. It seems to vary based on its starting point (previous SWR at the start of a new attempt). I ruled out loose connections and feedline intermittents by using an antenna analyzer while flexing cables, switching between antennas between measurements, etc.
Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
I am pretty sure that everything started after update to v2.6.0.
Never had an issue with 2.4.9
I have tested today on a dummy load and everything is looking good.
I have workeed on a local CW contest full power today and thngs running stable so far.
I had a second factory restore and clear ATU memories.
Swtched on and off the ATU multiple times.
I am only using hte internal tuner now.
Will connect again the external tuner in the next few days and test again.
Noted two other things: Tuning takes a very long time now
RF power out shows only maximum 95 W. Used to be a dit over 100 before update.
Also important. Version 2.6.0 somehow screwed CAT. My software using it keep disconnecting from the rig. Good news is that ver 2.6.1 fixed that and now all related software is happy following the Chief.
I am just waiting to see if the issue with antenna tuner manifest itself again.
I have total confidence that Flex Radio will have an eye and fix on this soon.
Another question would be how do I downgrade to v2.4.9 n case a fix does not surface anytime before Christmas ? :-)
I have dowgraded as you said. Tested. And I have upgraded again. Flowless.
I just remembered why I love Flex Radio so much :-)
Fantastic process and zero errors.
However my issue is still there even on v2.4.9.
It is like SWR is spiking way into the red but no errors or warnings from the radio. Is this normal?
How exactly is the high SWR protection working on these beautiful beasts?
I have to look into some other reasons I guess.
Is there a fix coming? Do I need to open a help desk ticket since there is already one open?
“It is like SWR is spiking way into the red but no errors
or warnings from the radio. Is this normal?
How exactly is the high SWR protection working on these beautiful beasts?”
Val, protection is based on reflected power, not SWR. Output power is reduced when reflected power exceeds 25 watts.Howard
Running 2.5.1 - reverted back from 2.6.1 due to power loss during TX.
Lately I have tested with local dummy load attached to antenna port. There are no issues!
Will attach the dummy load at the end of coax and see if cable is to be blamed.
I use a factory manufactured Common RF Filter (for power up to 2 KW)
I do not have an amp.
My attention was drawn by the fact that also external tuner (MFJ) is showing crazy nuts values.
It seem that was the real issue. Ether the resistors or Ferrite ring would not behave properly at high power. I have replaced the Balun and run full tests. No problems whatsoever. So my first assumption that it could be related to a recent version 2.6.1 upgrade was totally wrong. Good luck to all and thanks for all the answers. 73. DM1TX