Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6500 3.1.8 upgrade timeout

David
David Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I did the upgrade to 3.1.8 unfortunately it did not complete successful. I am getting the TIMEOUT message on the display. I have tried the factory reset with the same result. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Comments

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    My 6500 went smooth.  I did a cold start twice.  The first time just before updating...  and had the software on the workstation RTG...  6500 came up.  started the software looking for a radio and saw mine needing update.  clicked and it ran...  I do have cable connex to my router..  updated from 3.1.7
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I also got the TIMEOUT msg-- now our 6700 is a brick. Tried many hard resets (remove power for a bit and restart) unsuccessfully. It goes through the startup routine, becomes available to select/run from the client, but when you hit run the 6700 locks up (freezes, power button won't turn it off), the client window shows "No radios available" screen. Only way to end the lockup is to pull the 13.8 power from the 6700. Turned in a ticket and got the "next business day which is Monday" email back. We are dead for the Oceana DX contest and CA QSO party.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    That means you are losing connection to the radio, that is what the timeout and any lockup is caused by. You will need to trouble shoot your connections.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    This is not a network timeout. Connectivity on the network is fine. This is internal on the radio for what I can see in the history of posts. I was hoping there might be more I can do without sending it back. I have a ticket open unfortunately they are in the office until 10AM EST Monday.
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I wish-- I didn't change any connections. After lockup, it still responds to pings, it just doesn't respond to anything else. After powerup but prior to attempting to connect a client (I've tried from the station computer, laptop and Maestro), it shows as available on all 3 clients, but the instant any client tries to select/run, the 6700 freezes to the point of having to remove power, and all the clients revert to "no radio found" screen. That is hardly a bad connector or cable.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    If the radio loses connection for a split second the update stops, and the radio can time out.
    Perhaps explain how your connected. Can you connect the radio directly? In other words bypass the network. Try connecting the radio directly to the computer and the PC to the network. The reason I say it is a connection problem is that is the most common reason for your problems.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I see, I would do a factory reset instead of a hard reset.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    To clarify the Timeout on the display of the radio not from the software.Ithappend right after the Calibrating process completes.There is also a flashing red light that wasn't captured in the photo.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    That's ok,,, I still would do a factory reset.  on startup, push the OK and the power button together. the disply will count down to 0 then release. The power buton light will turn white and reset the radio
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    As I said in the original post I did the factory reset. Same results.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Dave, is it possible to down grade then up grade again?
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    since the radio has the timeout error it never comes on the network fully for SmartSDR to see the radio and try.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Can you reset your network?
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The radio is direct connected to the PC so the network is not involve in the downgrade attempt.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    It could be that your router needs a reboot. Everything goes through the router and it needs to find the radio. Nothing to lose
    The Flex needs special instructions that most other things do not need.
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Update-- Factory reset solved it for me. I was hesitant because I was afraid it might lose the software licensing info-- but re-reading reset info there were separate instruction steps for that and I didn't perform them. David-- I hope it will work for you.  Of course I had to import my database settings after the reset, but I had followed the release notes and did the export on them.

Thanks everyone for the patience .... 73 Steve WA7DUH

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Router power cycle did not change anything.

I understand the Flex archeticture but it is not a network issue. It is a boot calibration timeout. There are several post (links below) of different age with the same issue and they appear a case of having to return for repair. There was one version 1.x update that caused the problem so I figured it was worth posting this given that it happen during an upgrade and may be others encountered the same thing or had a solution without needing to return the radio.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6700-timeout-2017

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6500-calibrating-and-then-it-says-timeout

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6500-calibrating-and-then-it-says-timeout
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    good to hear Steve, licensing info is permanently saved in the radio.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am glad the factory reset (hold OK then power) worked for you. I have tried it several times with no success.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    how did reseting your router work for you?

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I replied earlier (scroll up) it did not change anything.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    David, I am just trying to help you but you will not try anything suggested. You are still having a connection problem even though you think everything is fine.

Turn the radio off, rebboot the PC and reset your network router, this should find the re connect to your radio.
    If you were talking to customer support these are the things they will have you try...step by step.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Bill, I have replied and tried those items. I am not sure why you think I have not. I understand you are trying to help. All of these steps have resulted in no change of getting past the timeout issue.

-Power reset
    -Factor reset
    -router reboot
    -Direct connected between PC and Radio (no network equipment involved)

I also provided links to the what other have posted in the past that this is a Calibration Timeout issue not a network issue.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The Calibration Timeout shown on the radio front display turned out to be a corrupted microSD. This card is in inside the radio under the RF can. The card had to be replaced and the radio booted up properly. Flex support was very helpful and worked to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible.
  • 7nql
    7nql Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Were you able to replace the SD card yourself?
    Did Flex provide you with the image to write to the card?
    I'm wondering if it's worth taking an image of the card for restore purposes in case it gets corrupted?
    thanks
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    To start I must stress you should contact Flex if this occurs. Doing anything on your own will risk voiding the warrenty. If you are outside the warrenty you could make getting repair assistance awkward. That said with supports detail directions I was able to do the repaird myself with the replacement card they sent me. This was great since it reduced the down time and even more avoided the very costly shipping of the radio. They do not have a method currently to download an image and apply to a card the owner may have available.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.