6400M with SignaLink

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
I would like to connect a SignaLink data converter to my 6400M, however reading the 6400M user manual, its not clear to me how I need to wire up the interface cable between the 6400M and the SignaLink, or which I/O ports on the 6400M I need to use. Does anyone have data converter wiring interface information they can share?
Thanks NE7X...
Photo of Thomas NE7X

Thomas NE7X

• 49 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3564 Posts
  • 1429 Reply Likes
Not sure why you would need to use a Signal Link Data Converter as your Flex already internally produces digital domain audio via the DAX Function?
Photo of Lou Dietrich

Lou Dietrich

• 57 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
As Howard mentioned, there is no need for any interface for the digital modes. DAX is your friend. (Virtual Audio Cables)
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 555 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
With a 6000 series radio there is no need for the SignaLink.
All audio and keying is done with the built in DAX & CAT to your favorite shack software.
No external boxes or cables needed.
Photo of Mike Steiner, K7QDX

Mike Steiner, K7QDX

• 25 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I was going to say the same thing. Why would you go from Digital to Analog back to Digital. You would be introducing noise.  
As Howard said you need to use the DAX's. You just need to assign them and then use them as your 'sound source' for the program you are using. 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3564 Posts
  • 1429 Reply Likes

I will add one more reason NOT to use the SignalLink

In tests we did a few years ago, the Signalink introduced noise and distortion into the audio chain.  DAX tended to outperform all the various digital interface boxes by 3 to 6 dB

Needless to say, I got rid of all my signalinks and every other digital interface box I owned.

Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 555 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes

In the Analog domain with cables and hardware some noise is unavoidable. SignaLink is a good box but the isolation transformers and RF shielding could be better.

When it comes to S/N Signal to noise DAX or VAC will always beat any analog rig interface box.