Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M - Radio always wants to update when turned on

Rod KI7CQ
Rod KI7CQ Member
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
My friend and I both got our 6400Ms.  Great radio, I hooked it up to my network (hard-wired), got set up and and have had no issues.

My friend connected the radio directly to his laptop which has wifi.  To update the radio, I got on his Win 10 computer and set up a wifi-ethernet bridge.  That worked to update the radio through 2 software updates and a firmware update.  Then I deleted the bridge.

His problem is that, his radio wants him to update the software every time he starts it.  I have talked him through many things this week, and gotten on his computer with TeamViewer (internet conference program), but he can't get past this problem.

I am beginning to wonder if the best thing is for him to run a network cable from his radio directly to his router.  Then connect to the radio on the laptop with SmartSDR.

Curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Being a brand new 6400M radio, I would work directly with Flex Tech Support... They are good at sorting things out..
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Upgrades over Wi-Fi are always risky. Operating that way, presuming an adequate network, is fine. The "trick" with 6000's and SSDR is that all units (SSDR Clients, Maestros, Radios) connecting together =must= run the exact same version (x.yy.zz) or you will get caught in an upgrade loop. 

In this case, it might be best to do a factory reset (including physically removing power) connect the PC running the latest version SSDR to the Flex, allow the upgrade, then power down, normalize the network, and see if you're good to go. Then connect additional clients, keeping in mind they all need to run the same version software.

If that doesn't fix it, a service ticket is your best approach.

Good luck!

• Rod KI7CQ
    Rod KI7CQ Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the replies.

When he clicks the Info button, the radio shows it has the last version of the software ****.32, which matches the SmartSDR on the radio.

I'll help him with these suggestions.  If that doesn't work, I'll have him get with Flex.
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    My 6400 is one revision behind. I did not upgrade to .32. It has never prompted me to upgrade (and I'm glad it's that way). Just wondering why a 6600 would prompt for an upgrade.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I believe  George is correct, the same version must be the same on everything as designed. Follow his suggestion.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That is correct, it will not force you to upgrade,,but if you were connecting to a computer, or Maestro, they need to be on the same version.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    From experience any device which tries to connect to a network on starting up causes delays and issues all the time if the network is not available.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I've seen instances with Maestro where Maestro likes to have a second look at the software on a radio restart after an update.  I wonder if this is what is happening to your friend?  If it's practical, I suggest that you recreate the Ethernet bridge and see what happens.  Assuming the radio comes up, then make sure it will start on its own while still connected to the bridge, then disconnect the bridge and test some more.

Don't hesitate to file a Help Desk ticket on this.  They will get to it quickly and probably sort out the problem right away.  Also, Help Desk tickets help Flex learn where the problems are and get them fixed.

• Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I had that problem,  it is confusing. there is a discussion on here about that. Just select the latest version, the one at the top and run. I thought my 6400M was telling me to upgrade and I got in an endless loop.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If the network is not available connection could take a long long time..lol
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    About 90% of the time an upgrade loop is caused by not having the Maestro and the radio not using the same Version. Many times, people down grade or upgrade their radio and do not always make sure the Maestro follows the same versions
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    He is running a 6400M? Not Maestro I think. could be incorrect.
  • Rod KI7CQ
    Rod KI7CQ Member
    edited April 2020
    My friend Ed is running a 6400M.  I did exactly what Dave suggested, I set up the bridge again, and the radio immediately started to upgrade.  We have actually been through the procedure 3 times.

If you go to the Info screen, it says it's running 2.1.32.  Without the bridge enabled, most of the time it comes up and goes to the upgrade screen when you click Connect.

Reggie's comment is interesting.  I'll have Ed try that suggestion.

BTW, my setup runs great, I have no problems or complaints with my 6400M.  But, I have a wired network.

Thanks.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OH! I have a wired network as well. His problem may not be the same as I had, maybe.

• Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited March 2018
    I am told by Steve - VP Engineering that the screen that has the connect button on the 6400M and 6600M always comes up when the radio is started.  Unfortunately for those of us who are new, neither the Quick Start Guide nor the Manual reference this screen.  Mine had a problem which Steve personally fixed this past Tuesday in that I could not get beyond this screen because the left half of the Touch screen was not functional.  To get to the slice receivers just hit connect and then choose the version of Smart SDR from the list you want to use.  The radio then will run using that software version.  I was initially baffled, wondering how my radio knew it needed an update straight out of the box - never even turned on.  I left a note to Gerald and Steve about the lack of documentation for the connect, login, info screen.  Hopefully they will publish an addendum to their manual and quick start guide.  Steve kindly updated my radio to .32 while it was on the bench.  Will be interesting to see if the connect screen still says UPDATE (in yellow)  in the middle of the connect screen
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    We're working on this problem on two fronts, software and documentation.  We'll release a new version of the M Series User Guide, soon,  that explains how the startup sequence should work, and how to tell if something is wrong that may need attention from Flex.
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited March 2018
    Having the screen come up in the start sequence is not a problem to me.  Having it come up to a first time user when neither the manual nor the quick start guide addresses it is disconcerting to the Newbie. It's a superb way to get us to read the manual though.    I am confident Flex will "fix" it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.