Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M doesn't connect to DAX/CAT upon startup

Jim K4JAF
Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
edited March 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Still having problem with 6400M connecting to DAX/CAT on computer on radio startup.  About half the time, will not connect.  Sometimes stopping DAX/Cat, the restarting them will cure the problem, sometimes not.  This morning restarted the computer and the 6400M several times with no luck.  Finally connected to the 6400 via SSDR on the computer which worked fine and 6400M connected to DAX/CAT ok (6400M essentially a 6400).  Then connected the 6400M as a M model and CAT/DAX was connected ok.  
Never had any problems connecting 6500,6700,6300 to DAX/CAT in the past....I am fustrated at this point.  About ready to return 6400M to Flex and order just the basic 6400. 

Am I the only one with this type problems?  

The multi screen boot up process on the M series should be corrected for users who have only 1 radio online and use the current, latest version of the software, but I can live with this process if the 6400M would boot up to DAX/CAT without multiple attempts. I know I can leave all powered up but here in FL, thunderstorms daily are the norm requiring disconnecting AC and antennas. 

Comments

• Mike KE4U
    Mike KE4U Member
    edited March 2019

Hi Jim,  Just tried to reproduce your problem here with the radio off initially:   I started my PC and DAX & CAT utilities started automatically.  I then started SmartSDR on the PC which launched and as expected did not see my 6400M.

I then started the 6400M and after the FlexRadio splash screen the radio appeared in the SmartSDR list on the PC. I was able to connect just fine.  I also noted that the DAX and CAT utilities had actiove connections to the radio.

I re-tried the scebario 3 times but cannot reproduce the problem you are having. Hopefully it will turn out to be some configuration issue. 

73, Mike KE4U

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Did you connect to the 6400M via the computer or let the 6400M connect on its own.  I have no trouble using smartsdr on the computer connecting to the 6400M, just as you would connect SmartSDR to a 6300, 6500 or a plain 6400.   
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Did you connect to the 6400M via the computer or let the 6400M connect on its own.  I have no trouble using smartsdr on the computer connecting to the 6400M, just as you would connect SmartSDR to a 6300, 6500 or a plain 6400.   
  • Mike KE4U
    Mike KE4U Member
    edited March 2018
    OK Jim - I understand I think. 

I powered up the PC (DAX and CAT utilities both start automatically).  Then I powered up and connected the 6400M front panel several times. 

Each time, the PC-resident DAX and CAT utilities reported a connection and I was able to run my logging program (uses the CAT interface) and FLDigi (uses the DAX interface) with no problems.

Note on my network topology here: Network connections between the PC and 6400M are via an ethernet switch.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes, your example here is what I am trying to do.  The DAX and CAT both start automatically at computer boot up just fine..  When I start the front panel as you indicated, the 6400M doesnt connect to the DAX and Cat about 50 percent of the time..  Once it has connected you can restart the 6400M and it will connect again all the time..  Almost appears a timing problem but I am not sure.  Thanks for the info.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.