Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M connected to Frontier’s Arris NVG468MQ gateway - how to properly configure port forwarding?

spinnaker
spinnaker Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I recently relocated all of my networking gear from distant side of the house into my ham shack.  The key piece of hardware supplied by Frontier is an Arris model NVG468MQ gateway.

Background: A 25' length of cat 5e ethernet cable is inserted into the RJ45 jack on the 6400M.  Opposite end of this cable is plugged into a LAN port on the Arris gateway, and the Arris DCHP server is ENABLED, and for best security, I have disabled UPNP on the Arris.   Another (1 foot long) cat 5e cable extends from a LAN jack on the Arris gateway to my personal router, which is an Apple AirPort Extreme.  The Airport should not have any impact on port forwarding: the Airport DHCP server is disabled, the Airport is set to bridge mode, and as noted, the radio connects directly to the Arris gateway, NOT to the Airport router.  Eric (KE5DTO) posted very helpful remarks to another (closed) message thread on this board.  In that posting, Eric remarked...

"you can look at the WAN IP through your router interface typically and compare that to what you see on www.whatismyip.com.  If they don't match, you are probably double NAT'd."

I am confident that I am not in a double-NAT situation, because on my residential network the WAN IP that appears on the Arris gateway interface does match the IP address returned by whatismyip.com.

Here's a screenshot showing the way I have currently configured port forwarding on the Arris Gateway.  Below, "host-36" is terminology automatically assigned by the Arris Gateway, and "host-36"  = the known IP address of my 6400M radio.  What additional steps/changes do I need to take to properly configure port forwarding on the Arris Gateway?

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Try UPnP first, it is easier to setup and can be used as a validator for determining if your router is working properly.  The security risk is minimal if you review your UPnP allocations to make sure no other applications are opening ports.  Reset the router and the radio's SmartLink configuration to automatic.
  • spinnaker
    spinnaker Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Tim!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.