6400M

• Praise
  • Updated 8 months ago
Just a comment.  Many of my net friends who have 7300s are ordering 6400Ms.  Very interesting.  Flex must be doing something right.
Photo of K4ELO

K4ELO

• 96 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Why not ask them why? Will eliminate the guesswork.
Photo of Lou Dietrich

Lou Dietrich

• 59 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
The are coming into the "Light"! There is just so much more you can do with a 6400!...let's welcome the 'converts' warmly!
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 277 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Maybe one of our friendly Google engineers could write an online client that we could use with our Chromebooks.  That would be pretty cool and would match the economy of a 6400.  Just thinking out loud from the peanut seats.
Photo of Zack Schindler

Zack Schindler

• 75 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Now that is a great idea!
Photo of Ron WD5FUN

Ron WD5FUN

• 26 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Well since I am one of those friends that Wayne is talking about maybe I can shed some light on the question.  First let me say that in MHO the Icom 7300 is the most bang for the buck in amateur radio.  It does most everything very well, so why have I purchased a 6400M?  There are some things that the 7300 doesn't allow one to do or doesn't do very well.  First the Icom remote software in my opinion is junk.  It is old technology that is not at all intuitive or flexible (no pun intended).    Personally I sometimes like to operate a radio with a computer interface providing  an adequate spectrum scope and waterfall with full access to all radio features; can't presently do that with the 7300. There are some 3rd party developers that allow a large spectrum scope and waterfall, but they are very slow and don't provide much control.   I have owned a couple of Flex radios in the past and I enjoyed some of the features not available on the Icom.  I believe that the Icom 7300 is a great way for those who have never used SDR to get their feet wet with a very good radio at a very attractive price.  Many of these 7300 users will probably move up to the Flex Signature series to experience a full featured SDR radio also at a very attractive price.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
I can completely understand if you don't like the small spectrum/waterfall display on the 7300. I can also understand that you may not like the level of effort required to make the remote software work...although these forums have proven over and over again that SmartLink and/or Maestro do require quite a lot of tinkering as well.

However, I don't understand why you would misrepresent the features set of RS-BA1. It provides COMPLETE control of the Icom. It is full features rich. And, the icing on the cake, is multiclient capable.

There is nothing wrong with liking one radio better than the other, but little white lies are unnecessary.
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 87 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Well, I have no time in my old age to take hours to figure out how to use a software package. I sold my RS-BA1 then my IC-7600 after I got a used FLEX 3000. I have been working on computer systems and software since 1961. My opinion also is, RS-BA1 is "old technology that is not at all intuitive or flexible ."
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1046 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes

"RS-BA1 is "old technology that is not at all intuitive or flexible"

No doubt its old technology. I bought an Icom 8500 in 1997 and that was the software for it. I was always shocked that Icom barely updated it.

Had a great looking interface but was pretty useless in my opinion. 

Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1050 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Being a Flex fan it will be interesting to see how a 6400 stacks up for receiver performance against a 7300.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
It is safe to predict that the 6400 will come up with better numbers. It is also safe to predict that the 7300 will continue outselling by a ridiculously wide margin.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1050 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Well the 6400 is going to have to be an improvement over the 6300 if we consider Sherwood a valid benchmark. I am skeptical.

The 7300 is not my cup of tea but its obvious it upset the amateur radio market new and used. Fine radio for the price.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
As long as Icom and the dealers keep slashing the prices, the 7300 should continue to sell well.