Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400 will no longer power on

N8SDR
N8SDR Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Was using radio on 20 M cw at about 80-90 watts
Suddenly it went dead no power,
Power supply also shut off,  SWR was good at about 1:6:1 that portion of the band into the tribander

Only way I can get my power supply to power on is disconnecting the Flex, if the Flex is connected it shorts the power supply, something internal sound like it has ailed I'm suspecting the finals as that could cause an internal short. Anyone else seen or had anything like this?

Comments

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The only way to know is to try substituting a different power supply or even a 12 V battery. Then you can determine whether the problem is with your power supply , the power cable or the radio. I’m betting it’s not the radio. Also try reseating or tightening the power connections on the back of the radio in your power supply. 73 Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Already tried another spare supply- also my the 2 meter and transvertors along with a few station accessories all work on that supply ans the backup, its internal as i mention if you connect radio the power supply shorts, also checks power connection with ohm meter show direct short no resistance on power terminals
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    You should open a help desk ticket on the flexradio website.
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I had a similar problem with my 6600.  I took an ohm meter and measured the resistance on the radio's +12 input to ground.  It was shorted.  There are several capacitors across the +12 input, one was shorted.  Flex replaced all of them and returned the radio in a week. Gerald  sent me an e-mail informing me of their findings and repair.

Gayle K0FLY
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Sounds  like it could be similar- like your finding, I'm also seeing 12+ shorted to ground. Awaiting RMA- thanks for the input guys.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I had a very similar issue on my 6600M last year. Sent it in, they replaced a capacitor, and shipped it back. It's been great since. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.