6400 versus 6400M what cant the M model do that he standard 6400 can with a PC

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
Looking for the difference between operations of a NON M model versus an M model. Have a couple friends interested in the 6000 series rigs  after hearing and using mine, however they have questions regarding what can't be done easily or at all with an M model versus what can be done on a Non M  since it is PC controlled. For the sake of this question Assume NO PC on the M model would be used it would just be a standalone operations  verses a NON M model used with PC . What difference in operations cant be done between the two setups. This includes using 3rd party software applications as well. Is there really any difference other than having the front panel touch screen display or our there options that the PC controlled setup offers that the M model can't do on it's own.
Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 120 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Doug

Doug

• 112 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I can't think of much but one thing the M model does have a HDMI output so you can use an external monitor. As far as 3rd party software you will still need to run a computer to run those programs like HRD FT8 etc. I do have the M model myself and I can tell you I love it and 99% of the time I run the radio stand alone. It is also easier in a field day setup.
Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 120 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Doug as a NON M user of a 6400 also used at Field Day since I used the logging software on the same laptop as the once used for the rig control the setup was about the same. but it would have been one less monitor I suppose since you had the display on the rig and I used two one for logging one for rig, good point. 
(Edited)
Photo of HCampbell  WB4IVF

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 199 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Yep, the HDMI display, and if multi-client becomes a reality, having your cake and eating it too!  When I use the mouse, I miss the knobs, and when I have the knobs, I miss the mouse!  (-: (-:

Howard
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Hawkins NG0G

Stephen Hawkins NG0G

• 83 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
With the 6400M I never have to worry about something Windows will break with each update.
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 91 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
BTW what is the OS that is used in the M models, and for that matter, Maestros ?

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 199 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
An embedded version of Windows, but updates are controlled and tested by Flex before release I believe.

Howard
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 91 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Sounds reasonable. Thanks
Photo of Stephen Hawkins NG0G

Stephen Hawkins NG0G

• 83 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Someone correct me if I am wrong.  I think there are two OS's  Windows runs the display and Linux runs the radio.

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 199 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes

That is correct I believe.  The radio itself is Linux, SSDR client is Windows, and the M client and Maestro are embedded Windows.

(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1105 Posts
  • 383 Reply Likes
I have the 6400M, I rarely use a computer or even the second slice.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4026 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
The Maestro / M-Model is a superb control surface which gives you the most needed / most used functions up front, with additional functions accessible via a simple and intuitive touch screen.  The knobs' weight and feel are excellent, and are positioned with sufficient space between them that "fat fingers" errors are minimized. 

But there are some ways you can manipulate the display using SSDR that you cannot with the Maestro or M Display.  For example pop-out windows, custom sizing of various panadapter & slice windows, utilizing multiple monitors, moving some pop-outs to additional monitors, etc.

This difference is more noticeable on the 6600 models, since the M display, and the rear panel HDMI output for that display, will only show two panadapters.  Currently, if you want to display more than two panadapters on the 6600, you will need to run SSDR/Win.   On the 6400 you can only run 2 panadapters anyway.

I will leave it to other commentators to address connectivity to 3rd party software when only running the Maestro or M console without SSDR.

Ken - NM9P

Photo of N8SDR

N8SDR

• 120 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Thank you