Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400 or 6600 for mostly digital and balance phone?

K7LER
K7LER Member
edited June 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have a Yaesu FT-DX3000 with a Ciro Baby Loop.  I focus mostly on digital with a balance of voice.  I haven't learned CW and not really interested, although not opposed to software tools that interpret and transmit CW.   
I'm in an apartment and have connected to a baby loop antenna I was able to place on my balcony. 
Is there enough benefit to me choosing the 6600 vs the 6400?   Would use my computer to do the work, so not interested in the M versions.
Secondly, is it enough of a benefit to add the GPSDO?
Thank you for the input.

Answers

• Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    While I can't comment directly on the 6400 or 6600, I can tell you that I moved from a FTdx-3000 to a 6300 and I found the digital to work exceptionally well.  The receiver in the 6xxx series radios are superior to the FTdx3000 IMHO.  Good luck.
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    GPSDO is only needed when using transverters for VHF/UHF imho, and the 6600 gives you 4 slices if you want to run multiple digital modes simultaneously. But if your loop has narrow tx bandwidth then those 4 slices might not be very usefull
  • K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I agree with the above about the GPSDO.  I'm the same as I'm mostly digital, but do some SSB in some situations.   The 6400 fits me well.   I'm currently in an apartment, though my rig is ata remote place which gives me more antenna options and makes the remote (see TCP/IP) option golden.  

On the flip side, I'm about to close on a house!  So the apartment life and it's antenna issues are about to go by the way-side.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    On the flip side, I'm about to close on a house!  So the apartment life and
    it's antenna issues are about to go by the way-side.

:-D
  • K7LER
    K7LER Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the insight. I pulled the trigger and decided on the 6600 and GPSDO and ordered. Thinking ahead with processing power and other r things, it may be useful. Also thinking of doing a long wire for a second antenna too for a different look along with the Baby Loop. Now.. Hopefully can use the CAT control usb connection to the loop controller AND cat control to PC at same time. I couldn't do natively with my FTDX3000 and had to so smoke USB serial port virtualizarion magic.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.