6400 Missing Front Mic Connector

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
I just received my 6400 today. But had to put it back in the box and wait for a 23.99 cable (plus 11.88 shipping) so Flex could save a couple of dollars by not putting the same mic connector on the front the 6300 has. I understand the front being left blank so one the fancier rigs they have their beautiful displays but they could have put it on the back. Why have a 6000 series with different connectors? 

I guess if I had upgraded because I was all excited about the rig it would be one thing but I upgraded because of the heat issues I have had with my 6300 when the fans failed and had to send it in for repair with no real fix just another fan that could fail the same way. Flex told me the 6400 was designed inside for better heat handling so I prerecorded one a long time ago. I do not remember being told I would need the replace the cable I already had purchased from Flex for my PR-40 Mic. I was kind of looking forward to being able to leave the rig on again, I have only had the rig on to check into the nets and then back off so I did not have the same problem with the heat. If I would have know when ordered the rig or even if there was some heads up when they sent me the bill for the rig when it was available I would have just purchased the cable then and it could have road along with the rig. 

I will say with this fine forum I was able to do a search and Tim had the answer right there for me with a link to the correct cable I need. I sure he does good with his surgery I have come to rely on him!
Photo of Delbert McCord

Delbert McCord

• 107 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9013 Posts
  • 3412 Reply Likes
Official Response
I understand the front being left blank so one the fancier rigs they have their beautiful displays but they could have put it on the back. Why have a 6000 series with different connectors? 

The answer is twofold.  First is that the 8-pin Foster connector is a panel mounted connector. Whenever you have panel mounted connectors, that increases the cost of assembly and provides greater opportunity for assembly errors.  The second one is that we made a concerted effort to cost reduce the FLEX-6400 so that you could purchase one of the highest performing radios from a major radio manufacturer for no more than $2000. So these factors and design requirement drove the business decision to use pass-through connectors for the mic inputs.