Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400 Mic connector wiring

Geoff AB6BT
Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for the Mic connector on the 6400. The text in the hardware manual states that for an electret mic that bias is applied to the (+) terminal. Is the (+) terminal the tip? A typical PC mic connector is wired with bias to the ring, of an 1/8" TRS, and the mic audio output is available on the tip.

So, if I plug an electret mic with that configuration into the mic jack on the 6400 will that work? Or do I have to build an adapter?

Unless I've missed something, there is nowhere I have found that explains this clearly.

Thanks,
Geoff 

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Geoff
    The current FLEX-6400/FLEX-6600 Hardware Reference Manual on pages 27-29 shows the correct 
    pinout.

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-6400-and-flex-6600-hardware-reference-manual-pdf/# 

The Bias voltage will be on the Tip, when it's enabled.  

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    OK, I see that, thanks for pointing it out. Somehow I missed that.

So, just to confirm, that means that a normally configured PC mic, with bias on the ring and audio on the tip, will not work.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Geoff

Correct, I think a homebrewed adapter would be possible though. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Right. I've got all the pieces so I'll build one. I just think it odd that Flex would use a non-standard configuration. I'm sure there was a reason behind the decision.

Thanks for your help.

73, Geoff
    AB6BT
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Cheap, Cheap, Cheap! Plus they can charge $40 for adapter cables.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I don't see how the wiring configuration would change the cost in any way.

And if people are unable to fab their own adapters then I think it is entirely reasonable to charge for T&M just like any other product.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Totally agree Geoff. Many configs possible via the correct adapter.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.