6400(M) 6600(M) News

• Praise
  • Updated 6 months ago
I thought this update should show in a separate thread than the one that was posted about the new amps. So, here's then new update for the radios, from Gerald:

FlexRadio Systems

Dear Valued Customer,

We at FlexRadio wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as we enter the Holiday week.  Before we all go into Holiday mode, I want to give you the most recent information regarding your new radio since I last wrote on December 12th.  

1. We began the first shipments to our field test team on December 16th as planned and are already receiving good feedback from on air operation.  Additional shipments to our test team continued throughout this week.
  2. There will be a single SmartSDRTM release that supports all FLEX-6000TM Series radios.  This means that we have merged the software for the four new models into the software that supports all of the earlier models.  As expected, the test team has identified a few issues on the earlier radios caused by the merge that will need to be addressed.  We are also collecting their feedback on the new radios and addressing any issues that need attention before general release.  We reviewed the list in detail and have a plan to complete each of the integration issues.  This is an iterative process that will include frequent software updates to the test team until we have a release that meets our quality standards. There are no major areas of concern at this time.
  3. The factory is in full production on all four new models and building stock in preparation for general release as soon as we are satisfied that the test team's issues are completed.  I have been in the factory every day and can say that production is going very smoothly at this time.
  4. I will plan to operate on the FLEX-6600M from home over the holidays so maybe I can talk with a few of you on 20m SSB.  Sorry my CW is very rusty.
  5. I know you are anxious to know when your radio will ship.  The answer is that we will be ready to commence volume shipment as soon as we complete item 2 above and not sooner.  

Our team thanks you for your patience and trust as we complete this process.  

We hope you have a blessed Holiday season from the FlexRadio team.  

Gerald

K5SDR

flexradio.com | +1.512.535.4713

Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 856 Posts
  • 186 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Wish I was a Field Tester, would be using my 6400M now...  LOL 
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Official Rep

• 794 Posts
  • 1433 Reply Likes
I am a lucky Field Tester.  ;.)

I discovered a cool way to operate on a single monitor.  This is a FLEX-6600M with HDMI output to 34 inch widescreen LG monitor in PGP mode (dual input) running FT8.  I had to darken the photo so you can see the white WSJT-X screen.  The spectrum display is a duplicate of the touch screen on the radio with 1920x1280 resolution.  In single display mode the radio is the full height of the monitor.

73, Gerald

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2246 Posts
  • 871 Reply Likes
That looks pretty slick... I may consider one of the Ms in the future.

Ria
N2RJ
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Official Rep

• 794 Posts
  • 1433 Reply Likes
Lawrence,
You know the story about the cobbler’s kids having no shoes. Well, I have only a tri band antenna working at the moment. Nothing on 40m or 80m. That’s on my list after the new radios are shipping to everyone.

Merry Christmas to all,
Gerald
Photo of Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

• 197 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Hey everyone: Antenna Party at Gerald’s house! I understand have an awesome Christmas
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2246 Posts
  • 871 Reply Likes
Bow and arrow and put a wire in a tree. Done and done.
Photo of KK9W - Steve

KK9W - Steve

• 552 Posts
  • 173 Reply Likes
I either use a rope with a water bottle on the end or use my drone and put a thin line up and then pull a bigger one up.
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Great view of your display.  Listened to one of the new radios on 40 meters this morning, sounded great!  Got my credit card in hand ready to pay for my new 6400M...  
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1061 Posts
  • 214 Reply Likes
Wonder if it was me. I was on chatting a bit remote from the Maestro and RadioSport Traveller headset then up at the station.

Dave wo2x
(Edited)
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
RR it was you Dave.  I came in and looked at the reflector and someone (believe was dave) said you were on with the flex and amp.  So tuned up there quickly, Had a nice signal down in FL especially for that time of the day.  Enjoy, really looking forward to getting my 7400M down here..  73s and Happy Holidays..
Photo of Jim  KJ7S

Jim KJ7S

• 121 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Antenna Launcher from QST instructions, and 10 lbs of air, fishing line, 80-130' trees, piece of cake.   Or there's the original..Crescent wrench (12" or bigger) some nylon "kite" string, a pair of good gloves(you do NOT want to string burn your hand),and hopefully NO Windshields within range,hihi 
Merry Christmas to Everyone and a Happy New Year.
'73' to all and to all a good night.
Jim
KJ7S
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 975 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
RE: Crescent wrench

If anyone wants a free crescent wrench seasoned for this task, I have one hanging from a walnut tree about 50' from my shack.

Merry Christmas all

Kd0zv
Photo of Jim  KJ7S

Jim KJ7S

• 121 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
That's very funny, and to say that it hasn't happened to me would be a fib... Good to know I am not alone.  Jim  KJ7S