6400/M & 6600/M Cooling & Heat Dissipation Systems.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)

Looking forward to the new 64/6600 radios, I had a few questions about the cooling systems the
new radios have. The cooling in my 6500 works great other than the fans are a bit noisy at idle.

1. Is the P.A module Heatsink the same size as the 56/6700 series or is the new Heatsink even bigger?

2. I notice the cabinet is about 4U to 5U in size or almost 7” tall. Does this mean the primary cooling fans are now larger so they can move more CFM at lower RPM’s thus lower fan noise?

3. Will there be the ability to add or buy from FRS a washable dust filter for the radio, for those who leave the radio on 24/7 and want that extra level protection.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 780 Posts
  • 326 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
Looking forward to the new 64/6600 radios, I had a few questions about the cooling systems the
new radios have. The cooling in my 6500 works great other than the fans are a bit noisy at idle.

1. Is the P.A module Heatsink the same size as the 56/6700 series or is the new Heatsink even bigger?

Yes.  It has about 50% more thermal mass that the earlier 6000s

2. I notice the cabinet is about 4U to 5U in size or almost 7” tall. Does this mean the primary cooling fans are now larger so they can move more CFM at lower RPM’s thus lower fan noise?

Yes, we are using a 140mm PC case type fan

3. Will there be the ability to add or buy from FRS a washable dust filter for the radio, for those who leave the radio on 24/7 and want that extra level protection.

There are no provisions for a fan filter.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 780 Posts
  • 326 Reply Likes

WOW! these design changes should not only make the radio more quiet during normal operation but now have even more cooling power for heavy duty cycle operation because the lager fans & bigger heatsink. More mass & more air = more cooling efficiency.

We now move into a real heavy duty cycle commercial grade design territory.

First the Balanced audio input and now to hear about the new improved thermal management design.

Bravo!!!

This is gonna be goooood :) :)