Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400 losing connection

Alan C
Alan C Member ✭✭
About once or twice a day SmartSDR loses connection with the 6400. I'm not doing anything, just  listening to 40 meters. It's the same LAN setup (four port switch) I had with my 6300. The 6300 never lost connection.

Answers

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Look at your task manager under performance and watch the graph of the CPU utilization. If it hits 100% for a little bit. since it cant communicate it will loose the connection. If you have a separate graphics card less of a problem but have seen this happen. The graphics uses a lot of resources. More panadapters open the more the screen is constantly updated. Chrome kills my resources too. my video interface is onboard, not the best. SmartSDR seems to be more like a gaming computer than just internet and email. My computer is a Dell Laptop Inspiron I5 3210M processor with *GB of RAMM. I have to be careful what I have up on the screen or it runs out of CPU and disconnects the radio.

Bill W9JJB
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Bill, thanks for the suggestions. I did have FireFox open - and yes it takes it's share of the CPU resource. Graphics is built-in. At your suggestion I looked at Task Manager - CPU usage and it's just 6% total. However, Memory is at 51%!. Perhaps I should upgrade the 8GB to 16...
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    My ram always run around 4 out of the 8 gb I have. Probably not an issue. 6% is great. maybe a router issue. do you run direct computer to radio. If not may want to try that. I find that figuring what it take to reproduce the problem is 90% of the work.

Bill
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Well, it's still losing connection. Lost connection twice this morning while doing nothing except receive.  I've rebooted the radio and the computer a couple of times - no change.

I've never hooked the radio up to the computer directly - hook it up to the LAN port, then?

• Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Another thing you might check is under Device Manager.  Make sure that your LAN card is not set to "green" mode that turns it off when the system doesn't see a lot of activity.  Every once in a while, Windows 10 updates my system and sets my LAN card and other subsystems to green mode.  #$%^ tree huggers!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Alan, when you get the disconnect, what actions do you take to reconnect?  Just restart SmartSDR or do you have to shut down the radio.  If the later, does a short press of the power button shut the radio down?
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I just re-start SmartSDR. (Yes, a short press of the power button does shut it down nicely - I did that four days ago, and am leaving it on).

Turns out, it has worked perfectly for 4 straight days (leaving it on).

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Restarting SmartSDR and reconnecting to the radio is usually indicative of a network issue where the client (SmartSDR) did not receive the keepalive packets from the radio for a period of time an initiated a disconnect.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.