Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400 in a Contest Environment

Rich - N5ZC
Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in Contesting
Hows the 6400 holding up in a contest environment?  Has anybody had the opportunity to use both a 6600 and 6400 in a contest and can explain any differences?

I have a 6600 and will use it in it's first contest during IARU this weekend.

I'm considering a 6400 as a backup/2nd radio for a multi-2 setup but I'd like to get some input from those who have used a 6400 in a contest environment first.

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC

Answers

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Rich- I took my 6400 to field day this year and in a close environment of 2 other rigs and several different antennas, It performed well it was clean no problem with getting into the other rigs. However one of the other rigs  got into the flex when I was on 80 and they were on 40 meters,  the other rig was a Yeasu FTDX 3000 , once I placed a 80 meter external band-pass filter on the Flex I had no issues. The 6600 does offer better filtering so you might want to keep that in mind. I enjoy using the 6400 its a great rig at its price point.  But I think you might be better off in a contest environment with the 6600, just my opinion. 

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The 6600 has 7th order bandpass filters on all the contest bands 80 through 10. The 6400 does not, so if several radios and antennas are in close proximity of each other the 6600 is the way to go.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Rob Sherwood presented in Dayton that ANY 6000 series radio is a contest grade radio at the contestor forum.  I was there and somewhere I have a slide with him stating that.  If I can find it, I will post it.

As for Field Day, you absolutely have to have band pass filters or a well designed antenna layout as you found out with the 80M filter. 

For a normal home situation on a normal contest weekend, you'll find the 6400 will not let you down.  

Mike

• Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the input.
    At my home station I have a full set of 4O3A band pass filters and a 4O3A 2x8 Antenna Genius. 

Sounds like the 6400 would do well in a M/2 environment.  The plan is to try some M/2's for the NAQP contest's. 

Rich - N5ZC
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I just set up my 6600 and the 2x8 switch from 4O3A for my home station.  I have to admit, I should have done it sooner.  The integration is amazing and now I don't care which antenna I am on on the radio.

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.