6400 hardware vs 6300 hardware vs V2

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
I am assuming that the 6400 hardware has been redesigned and is different in some respects than the 6300 hardware design though functionally similar.  Is this a good assumption? 

That said, if the 6400 hardware design is different from that of the 6300 is it possible that V2.x.x may incorporate functional additions and enhancements not applicable to the 6300 due to hardware design limitations of the 6300?  

Or put another way, is it reasonable to assume that as V2 progresses the functionality of the 6400 will significantly diverge over time from that of the 6300 running either V1.11 or V2? 

I believe that software development eventually becomes constrained by the hardware platform.

In the community I have seen posts indicating that 1.11 will add some (or all?) of the V2 features except WAN that are applicable to 6300 hardware platform.  

I have searched the community for answers or leads but so far no luck. I am not looking for time frames or roadmaps; not asking about strategic plans. 

To me the incredibly good news in owning a Flex is the willingness of FRS to address questions and problems quickly.  I do not know of a manufacturer of ANY product with this practice.  

I understand that business reasons may dictate keeping some "look ahead" within the company. 

Tnx
Photo of N5LB - Lionel

N5LB - Lionel

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
  • confident, thankful

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 798 Posts
  • 1452 Reply Likes
Official Response
Correction to Ray.  The 6400 has 3rd order bandpass filters on the amateur bands except for 60m where it is in wide mode.  These are the same filters that are in the 6500/6700 design.  The 6300 is in wide mode all the time.

The 6600 has the addition of 7th order bandpass filters on 160/80/40/20/15/10m giving at least 50 dB of rejection on the adjacent contest bands.

Both the 6400 and 6600 have improved preamps with more gain settings and a lower system noise figure.

The 6300 owner will be able to take advantage of most but I won't guarantee all of new features added to the 6400.  The 6400 uses the same computational architecture but add improvements in RF performance based on things we have learned.

V1.11 will have virtually all of the bug fixes and performance enhancements that are in v2.0 but none of the new features.

Gerald