6400/6600m powered speaker

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Have a question about the speaker output on the new M series radios. I see there is a speaker on the front so assume there is an audio amplifier in the radio. I have a 6600m on order to replace my 6500 and was excited about not using an external amp or powered speakers. But looks I might be wrong.

I just watched a video on the Maestro and noticed the jack on the back has the same label.

So does that mean the 6400/6600m will not output amplified audio?

Rich
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1148 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 318 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
If you look at the 6400M back panel there is a jack for powered speakers. I believe there is a speaker on the front below the display. If there wasn't then how could operate as stand alone?
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1148 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I see the speaker on the front. But it appears the back requires something like computer speakers with an amp just like the Maestro does.

So basically you are stuck using the internal speaker or you will have to run an external amp (or powered speakers).  Not something you would expect from a knob radio. I had had hoped they would have provided an adequate audio amp inside the radio to a standard speaker, but not looking like it.
Photo of Paul Bradbeer

Paul Bradbeer

• 170 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes

I know what you mean, Rich; I too wonder why there isn't an AF amplifier inside the radio...it would reduce the need for another 'powered' device, and may perhaps be more EMI friendly too?

Heck...FRS could even market their own Speaker (it took Elecraft a while, but they got there eventually...).  Paul M0CVX

Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 762 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Agreed.  More wall warts, wires and separate speakers.  Adds to the mess.  It would have been very nice to have the AF amp built in along with some built in speakers.  Then the jack in the back could have been directly connected to any 8 ohm speakers you want.   Bluetooth would have also been nice.  Never could figure out why Bluetooth wasn't enabled on the Maestro or the 6000 for that matter.  

Currently I use my 6000 remotely to a computer.  The computer has nice speakers and those are the ones I use.  One of the issues I have is with CW.  There isn't a way to hear my transmitted CW via REMOTE.  This is terrible.  If your computer is close to the Flex, you can run a headset from the 6000 and then hear your TX CW, but that is the only way I know of.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1148 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Well it must have an AF amp in it to drive the front speaker. Just not enough wattage to drive a real speaker !

I dont know about everyone else but everything I have that is bluetooth is a challenge with any distance. Not sure how well it would work from backyard or this much bandwidth. Just my experience and no technical info to base that on.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 762 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I use Bluetooth headsets connected to my PC/laptop.  The PC/laptop is usually next to me so Bluetooth is not an issue and works quite well.  

I don't like cables and cords running all over the place so have opted for Bluetooth.  Another better solution is something like the Jabra headset which uses RF and is good for up to 100 meters.  I have used a Jabra headset for several years and I can go anywhere in my house and even in most of my yard without loosing signal.  Works quite well.  It was designed for phone answering call centers.  Having the freedom to roam around is priceless.  Even Bluetooth will let you get up out of your operating position and walk around a bit.  To me - Priceless.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9202 Posts
  • 3563 Reply Likes
Official Response
The "M" series radios will have a 2W internal speaker.  Or you can use the rear powered speaker input for a pair of computer speakers.
(Edited)
Photo of Sloan Davis

Sloan Davis

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Tim,
Can I use my LG Powered sound bar as a speak for the Flex 6600 M?
-Sloan
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 4069 Posts
  • 983 Reply Likes
Not to answer for Tim and it's late. Yes you can if it is powered. your speaker should just need line in.
(Edited)
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1148 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Thanks for the official response Tim.

Bummer!

Oh well, have been getting by with the 6500 so will get by with the 6600 :)