6300 random pops or crackles during cw tx

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • In Progress
I just put a 6300 in the same configuration that I had a 6500 in a few months ago and discovered one significant difference. While transmitting cw I can hear random pops or crackles in both the headphones and powered speakers. The sidetone sounds fine, this is a separate event. I am using the latest version of SSDR.

When I had the 6500 in line I connected it through my router and didn't experience the issues I have with the 6300. I changed to a direct connection from the computer to the 6300 and it eliminated some of the crackles but not all. I'm quite sure it's not RF induced as it still does it with the power set to zero and using a dummy load. It does it with 0 cw delay and also to some extent when the delay is set to something other than 0. It is very random, it may not do it at all when calling CQ, but might do it several times during an ensuing qso.

The computer is an I5 with 16gb memory running 64 bit windows 8.1. I could live with it's performance directly connected, but I run my logging program (DXLab) and various digital programs from a second computer and I lose that capability when connected direct.

I know there are many variables involved and the possibility of finding the specific cause might be remote. My main reason for mentioning it here is on the chance someone might have encountered the same thing and could share their experience. Something obviously changed between using the 6500 and 6300, I just can't put my finger on it yet.

Sorry for the long rambling post.
Photo of Timothy Cook

Timothy Cook

• 26 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8498 Posts
  • 3181 Reply Likes
Official Response
I have changed this post to a problem topic and converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.