Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 + USB Hub = Hash Noise

Paul - K6HR
Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
When I connect a USB hub to my 6300 I get heavy hash noise that obliterates parts of whatever band I'm on, and is worst on 20m. Has anyone seen this anomaly that can tell me how it was resolved? Is there a specific model of USB hub known to be "quieter" than others? Distance between the hub and radio does not appear to make any difference. The USB cables I'm connecting to the hub are the Flex FTDI cables which work quietly when connected directly to the radio. I appreciate any hints or tips you may have!

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Do you get any hash noise by using a single USB cable?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Paul

The noise is likely in the power supply and there is no model that will guarantee that it is quieter than the next, or so it seams.  It is really hit and miss at times.

A long time ago, I gave up on specific models and I started to Choke everything.  I have to admit, I can hear so much better now.  Doing this is well worth the time and effort.

This is the document that got me started down that path  http://www.yccc.org/Articles/W1HIS/CommonModeChokesW1HIS2006Apr06.pdf

I bought a case of Mix 43 and Mix 31 chokes.  It was one of the best additions I made to my station.  Choking not only affects transmitting issues, it also seriously helps with suppressing the RF like you are now hearing.  Choking a feedline at both ends really helped as well

A simple fix for you would be to try choking the power supply to the hub or trying another 5v supply on the noisy hub.

73, Mike va3mw

• Bob Kozlarek
    Bob Kozlarek Member
    edited March 2017
    I have to agree - most of my noise emitters and birdie generators have been those infamous "wall warts". On my Verizon router I actually made my own power supply as no amount of chokes could clean it up.  The worst offender was my UPS supply which created this "swooshing" carrier that would move up and down on 75m.
  • W0JD
    W0JD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Or better still disconnect any external power from the USB hub and just depend on the 6300 to power it. The FTDI cables do not draw a lot of power.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    another comment, some Powered USB hub's run on +12V and I always look for them and hook them up to the station power supply. Connecting them direct to the Radio really isn't a good Idea because the Radio can't power a lot of current off it's USB ports and just another unprotected path for lightning or static discharge to come into the radio's motherboard. 

I power all my Routers, Intel NUC Computer, Monitor's, Both Flex Radio's, Speakers, and Ethernet switch's off of my 13.8 Volt station Power Supply.

Having NO WALL Wort's sure keeps the noise down from those nasty cheap switching Power Supplies.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The hub I connected is powered by the 6300. No external power supply. I don't have an RFI problem during TX. The shack is free of RF, however as soon as I plug in this hub the noise appears immediately. In the meantime I'll try a different hub(s).
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Paul

I hear what you mean when you say you don't have a RF problem while transmitting.  However, other devices are using their own antennas (aka:  the power cords, etc) to radiate the noise you are hearing.

It is possible that the USB hub you have is noisy (ok, it is), but what is happening is that the RF of that noise is being radiated along other conductors (USB, power cables, etc) and that noise is making it to your antennas.  

RF in the shack means your transmitters are making it back to devices.  The RF we are talking about is other transmitters that are all over your house.  

You could try some snap on chokes on the USB cable you are using the USB hub and see if that helps at all.

Mike va3mw

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Does the HUB create RF noise when plugged into a PC ?  .. Have you tgried a different HUB from a different maker?
    AL, K0VM
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This is my station practice too. Switching wall warts are nasty. Some power poles and barrel connectors and you're good to go. Actually a lot of times I just snip off the wire from the wall wart and use that. you have to be careful with polarity so use a DMM to verify. 
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Some devices have a 5v wall wart. Whats the best way there?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If it's USB I usually connect it to a quality USB power source such as one of the Anker chargers. I haven't had much of a problem. 
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What model USB hub are you using? If you eliminated the hub and directly connect each end component are they are all free of the noise? Does choke beads on the USB cable or even just a different cable change things? 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Forgot to ask if you could post some screenshots of what the noise looks like on the panadater? 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks to all who replied. The Anker hub in the aluminum case is working 100% noise free!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.