6300 unboxed and hooked up!

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
Powered up my new 6300, enjoying stations being pulled in better than my Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V can do it off of the same antenna. I need to install a station RF ground, since the antennas are in the attic if I key up it changes channels on the Samsung TV or powers it off, haven't tried with the 6300 yet, going to take it easy until I have it all right.

Anyway, I took pictures of it running on one screen and SDRPlay on the other screen, here is how it looks in its temporary location.

Everything fired up, loving it!

Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Joe WD5Y

Joe WD5Y

• 176 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Glad you got it all setup! You will be pleased with all of the features that the Flex offers and more to come.

73's
Joe
WD5Y
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I'm unable to hear SW broadcasts, I must be doing something wrong? 
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
My hf antenna feedpoint (80m ocf dipole ) is approximately 8 feet from my samsung tv and it's cable box and I have zero issues with rfi except for when I am on 80m and I see a little bit of rfi on my second computer monitor.

Neither my flex nor my remote tuner are grounded and I do not have to use feed line current chokes. I do, however, use a quality 4:1 current balun http://www.balundesigns.com between the antenna and the remote tuner. Finally, I am only using 100w. If I was using an amp, I am sure the rfi that I am seeing in my second monitor while on 80m would manifest elsewhere and be more severe.

I just mention this to let you know that you can have a compromised antenna, that will work on 160 to 6m, in close proximity, and should have less rfi issues than what you currently seem to have have.

Finally, congrats with your 6300 and hopefully you have the SW broadcast thing figured out by now.
(Edited)
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Ken, been in IT since 1989 so I have lived with so many PEBCAK situations I should write a book. :)
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Now I have find my zen to wait for the Maestro. I am horrible with waiting. 
Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 291 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Ken, yes I also had to consult my friend, Google, to decipher PEBCAK.

Pre 1989, the term used when the problem was self inflicted was "I had a fault in the he stage before the microphone", or should I say IHAFITSBFTM?
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 103 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
In the automotive repair world we used to refer to  customers as having a  "Loose nut behind the wheel"  B)
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 103 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
In the automotive repair world we used to refer to  customers as having a  "Loose nut behind the wheel"  B)
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I was going to complain about how the SDRPlay sounds better and a few other ill-timed complaints until I decided to, well, read.

The tuning and sound of the 6300 in shortwave isn't even in the same ball park, the 6300 when set correctly sound leaps and bounds better, which it should considering how cheap the SDRPlay is, I don't mean cheap as in junk, I love the little thing.

I am listening to shortwave and even my local AM stations with a new ear, WOW! The SDRPlay doesn't have an AM button, only SAM and now I "hear" why, being able to toggle between the two in the 6300 shows me some of the simple things the Flex 6300 does so well.
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Incorporate  NR, receive EQ , Attenuation and AGC-T into your AM /SAM / SWL listening. You will be even happier.
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Oh found all of that and more, heck, just switching from AM to SAM was fantastic, once I started making other changes it just kept getting better and better! 
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Cool beans.