Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 Transients , snaps and cracks continue in 1.38

Steve N4LQ
Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
You fixed the pops created in ver. 1.3 but this made no improvement to the transients in the 6300. 
From indications it is a hardware issue with the 6300 only. 6500 and 6700 users don't report hearing it.
Please take time to watch and listen (volume high) to my video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiw_df6t6IA&list=UU8yv24rjknvixn1KIAcwzoQ
Please listen to the whole thing.
Sidetone is turned off so you can hear the snaps. They are really annoying especially in the headphones. 
You can get a small sample of what they sound like by simply turning the sidetone off/on, EQ off/on or just quickly sliding the slice volume back and forth. These are not a big problem but they are when keying and they are rather loud although short in duration.

Another 6300 reports that these are so bad he is giving up and buying something else. 
Please check this. 
Thanks
Steve N4LQ

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Steve,
    Do you get the same effect when set for semi-breakin?  (e.g.  keyer delay set for 300, etc).

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Do you get the same effect via headphones with the Bose speakers turned off and disconnected?
    If you leave the rig on receive do you get the random pops when you are not transmitting?

What I am getting at is that I m wondering if you might have a static build up in your speakers?  or perhaps a stray voltage between the speakers and the rig that is allowing a leaky capacitor to build up a charge and discharge with a pop.  Or there might be something similar going on inside the rig?  Just thinking out loud here....

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have entered this problem report into our bug tracker for additional investigation. Thank you for the defect report.
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Same snaps via spkr or phones. 

Transients via speakers become most obvious with master volume at mid and amplified speakers high.

Reducing the speaker's volume seems to help but they aren't the cause. They are just amplifying the problem. 

I can see the transients on a scope very easily.
    They are random when keying.

Reducing RF Power to 1 gives just as many snaps as 100. Setting power at zero pretty much eliminates the transients.

They can be slightly reduced in the headphones by reducing the master gain and increasing the slice gain but not eliminated.

Disconnecting the Bose speakers has no effect on the headphones. Transients are still present.

Headphones are non-amplified Bose....Not noise reduction...Just regular headphones.

Let me know if you need further info.

Thanks for the response. 73 Steve N4LQ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.