6300 power off while external Antenna tuner is tuning

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
My 6300 has turned off by itself (3 time)  while its been auto tuning ( Elecraft KAT500 ). I dont understand why.....after it went off I push on button and it performs its star procedure normaly...I have noted too some times  SWR flash up when I test on my mike (heil PR40)....any ideas?

Thanks

George

YV5WZ
Venezuela 
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 561 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes
I would guess a flaky power connection or RF in the shack. Just a guess from the little info supplied.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Another possibility is you are tuning it 'wrong'. When I say wrong, I mean differently than I do which doesn't have the results you are seeing. Here's my procedure:

1)Set KAT-500 to auto.
2) depress KAT-500 tune.
3) depress SSDR tune.
4) when KAT-500 stops adjusting, depress SSDR tune once again to stop the xmit.

Note: make sure your tune power is set sufficiently low. If you are tuning the KAT-500 on full power, I suspect bad things could happen.

Another thought, are you tuning the antenna you think you are? You can set the KAT-500 to default to some other antenna output on different bands. Something to dbl check so you don't inadvertently try to tune your 20m mono for 160m or whatever band on an unused SO-239.

Remember, the KAT-500 is not as smart with a Flex as it would be with a K3. In the later case tune on the KAT-500 would tell the K3 to send a small rf to the KAT-500. This is why I hit tune on the KAT-500 immediately followed by tune on SSDR.

Does this help?

Walt - kz1f
(Edited)
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Thanks Elmer!!  Thanks Walt!!!

I'm checking on  cables and doing tests on 20 Mts

Elmer let me know what info you would like to know

Walt, procedure you suggested is  what I'm precisely doing with 20 Watts
I haven't be able to reproduce the issue

Thanks again to you two guys......

George
YV5WZ 
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 561 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes
George

Could it have been a power glitch? With the summer heat requiring so many airconditioners, we have more than a few here in Virginia!
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Wow! Elmer My friend.....

You know,  down here at Venezuela last 16 years under those crazy people as government,  power glitchs have been multiplied for 10......so It could be... I'm still looking for RF ...I let you know if I find what's going on at shack

Thanks

George
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I think 20 watts is awfully high for tuning, esp if there is a high swr. Try 5-10. 20W is about what I use to drive the KPA-500.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Hey Walt!

I will take your advise...

however, I had read on KAT500 manual  20w is recommended .... I use to tune with 10w until my KAT500 and KPA500 arrived to my shack.....
I consider my problem at my station its Hustler vertical antenna ..Oh God!!

Greetings  Walt!!!

and Thanks

George
YV5WZ
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I've never tried 20watts as that would be full input power to the KPA-500 and the KPA-500 feeds the KAT-500.  I believe doing that faults the KPA-500 say if I try to tune to 20m on a 17-30LP7. In other words it would be a really nasty SWR. I also keep the KPA-500 in standby mode .. or try to. This is what is nice about a full Elecraft environment where the 3 units working together insure you don't do anything stupid. I don't have a K3 or K3S but ... sometimes... I revisit that decision. If it were a K3 depressing tune would drop the KPA-500 to standby.

When your shack is full of stuff not intended to play nice together it is harder on the op to mediate between the devices...kind of like little kids.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Hello Walt

I think I did not explain it well.

Working condition with issue on 17m:
Flex 6300 tuning power 20 watts
KAT500 Auto tune on Antenna 1 ( Hustler 6BTV plus 12m & 17m adds by Dx Engineering) 
KPA500 was off

Actually testing working condition on 20 m ( I already did on 17m not issues presented):
Flex 6300 tunnig power 10 watts ( taking your advise power reduced)
KAT500 Auto Tune on same antenna
KPA500 on Stand by

Not issue so far 

Thumb Up!!!

Thanks

George