6300 not starting/turning on

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I  have had my Flex-6300 for 5 months and have installed (successfully) all of the various updates without issues until today. When I tune the radio on the "Green" light just keep flashing and though I can hear the relay click the radio will not turn on. To turn the power off, I have to press and hold the switch for a few secs. I uninstalled  the SmartSDR software  from my Windows 8.1 computer but that did nothing.

Have anyone seen this problem ?

Peter/ve3pcd
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jon  W1JDB

Jon W1JDB

• 146 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Have you removed all power from the radio for 20-30 seconds and then done a factory reset?
Photo of K2CM

K2CM

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Had a related problem last night. Shutdown/restarted Windows to correct the problem.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I did the following:

1. Disconnect all power
2. Factory reset the radio
3. Removed/re-install SmartSDR 1.4.11
5. Radio now turns on

new issues:
1. Don't see the option to update the software when the radio starts up
2. Don't see any activity on the pan-adapter (like there is no antenna)

Still trying to determine the root cause

Peter
Photo of Jon  W1JDB

Jon W1JDB

• 146 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

Peter, I would suggest that you do another power-factory reset, uninstall 1.4.11. The re-install 1.3.8 and let the radio do the downgrade. Shut down the radio, remove power as before and then strat the radio. See if everything works as it did prior to the problem occurring.

If all is well, then try the 1.4.11 install again, including a power removal after the firmware upgrade completes (shut down SmartSDR, press power switch to shut down the radio, install 1.4.11 w/o uninstalling the previous version, when complete - power down the radio, do another power removal cycle. Then turn on the radio and start SmartSDR (ensure that you use the icon for the new version 1.4.11) and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest filling out a Help Desk ticket to get direct, in-depth assistance form the Flex Team.

Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the advice. 

I power-factory reset, uninstall 1.4.11 and re-installed 1.3.8.126 and the radio turns on though it seem to take a bit longer that usual. There is no Audio, pan-adapter NOTHING! the radio is dead. I thought it may be  ANT1 as some people have reported so I switch to ANT2 same results (dead). I can hear the relays clicking change bands etc. This is really unusual as was working fine.

This seem to be pointing to some hardware failure which would not make me very happy as this is just 5 months old.

Peter
Photo of Jon  W1JDB

Jon W1JDB

• 146 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Peter, I suggest you put in a helpdesk ticket so that you can have the best support and (hopefully) a quick resolution.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I just did, Thanks Jon.
Photo of Delbert McCord

Delbert McCord

• 108 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Mine just started the same thing. Lovely
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
I recommend you open a HelpDesk ticket so we can troubleshoot the issue.
Photo of Delbert McCord

Delbert McCord

• 108 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I did and now I am about to box the rig up and ship it back and I can not for the life of me figure out how to access the HelpDest ticket I opened. (I want to include the serial number before I box it up.
Photo of Michael Aust

Michael Aust

• 135 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Maybe the Master Reset procedure to restore to factory defaults might 
bring it back than a simple reset per the manual.

As per the FLEX-6000 Hardware Reference Manual.

With the radio powered off, press and hold down the “OK” button on the front panel of the radio. Momentarily press and release the power button to power on the radio.  Continue holding in the OK button until the front display counts down to 0, the power LED starts flashing white and the “CALIBRATING...” message is displayed, then release the OK button. Allow the radio to continue booting normally.

The callsign fields are not reset with a factory reset, along with some other radio specific data.  Only the profiles, persistence and waveforms are reset.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Delbert - go to the HelpDesk https://helpdesk.flexradio.com and login using the link at the top right-hand corner.  Then click on your user name and select My Activities.  Then select your ticket.

Or you can reply to the HelpDesk e-mail once you have an open ticket.

(Edited)