Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 microphone questions

K0GGC
K0GGC Member ✭✭
I just received my new 6300 radio and I am discovering that I should have paid attention to the specs a little more.
I was using a Kenwood TS-590S with a Heil Sound PR-781 microphone. I love my Heil mic and when I went to use it with the Flex 6300 I quickly realized that the pin-out was different.
So I got online to sort out which cable I should use. To make a long story short I found out that the only input on the 6300 is an unbalanced input on the front. So now I have ordered the proper cable from Flex for the PR-781 but I will have an issue of running balanced (mic) to unbalanced connector and I am worried about RF due to all the electronics in my shack. 

What are most 6300 users using for a high quality mic that is equivalent to a PR-781 sound?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Unless you have a transmit RF problem in the shack, you'll be fine with the balanced-to-unbalanced connection cable. 
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    No problem here with PR-781 plugged in the front with correct cable..
    cheers
    Paul

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Actually, the FLEX-6000 8-pin Foster mic connections are pseudo balanced, not unbalanced.  I just checked your order and you have the balanced version cable selected, so you will be good to go when it arrives.

I have used several high quality mic with the 6300.  A PR-40, Shure SM58, and an assortment of large diaphragm condenser mics.  Nothing is going to sound just like a PR-781.  It is a very good dynamic.  I think you'll like how it sounds over the air once you have the EQ set for your particular voice characteristics.
  • K0GGC
    K0GGC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    OK, thanks everyone. It's good to know that I'll be able to continue to use my PR-781. 
    So far I am enjoying the radio but there are a lot of new things to learn in order to tweak out the best audio possible.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    A lot of other possibilities that await you as to what type, kind, brand of microphone to use when you decide to operate remotely from your 6300.   As this radio is a "Radio Server", you can operate from another computer elsewhere in your house.  In the not too distant future, you'll be able to take your Laptop, IPad, or Maestro with you into the field and operate anywhere there is decent Internet connection.  Operating remotely means that virtually any microphone you can connect to your remote computer will work with your 6300.   
    I personally use a Blue Yeti USB desk microphone with my desktop computer

and use a Logitech G35 headset when using my laptop.

I get great sound reports on both.  With the 6000 series radios you have significantly greater .... well...err...uh.... "flexibility" when choosing a microphone to use!  :-)

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I don't want to mention the first thought that comes through my mind when I see a Yeti microphone - especially three of them lined up as if they're ready to pounce.  :)

My PR781 works well with my 6300.  I get good audio reports and even manage to get heard in the SSB pileups.  I do miss the balanced line input that was on my 5000, but I work okay without it.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    :-)

• Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    For whatever it's worth, I place snap-on ferrite cores on all cables in and out of my 6300.  I also use the PR-781 and am satisfied with the reports I get.
  • K7FU
    K7FU Member
    edited October 2015
    Using the PR-40 on my 6300 with no problems. Audio is excellent.

K7FU
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm using the Heil PR-781 with the yaesu cable from Flex on my 6300 & It works great....Feel free to email me for eq settings when your ready to set it up...Could save you some time...Good Luck, You'll love the 6300
  • K0GGC
    K0GGC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Thanks, I might take you up on that when I get the correct mic cable.
    Geting audio out just right is difficult when you can't hear the results on the other end of the transmission.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Here is my station at home with the Yeti.

• K0GGC
    K0GGC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Very Nice. I am also running on a mac.
  • Don Stefanik
    Don Stefanik Member
    edited March 2017

I have the PR781 mic on my Icom 756Pro3 and wonder what I need to do to be able to use the 781 with the Flex. The Pro 3 has the 8 pin plug. Can I use it with the 6300?

DJ

VA3KBC

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You need the Yaesu version of the balanced Heil connector cable. http://cart.flexradio.com/PR781-Mic-C...
  • Don Stefanik
    Don Stefanik Member
    edited January 2016
    ok thanks.

• Mike Christmas
    edited March 2017
    I have a flex 6300 is the PR-781 a perfect mic to add to the radio. Hiel does not mention the flex for this mic.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    PR-781 is a great mic for the Flex 6000 series, but as with all microphones, you will need to start with the PR-781 default Mic Profile and fine tune it to your own voice and situation.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    I'd send Bob a note about it.
  • Mike Christmas
    edited March 2017
    TY
  • Jim Miller
    Jim Miller Member
    edited April 2017
    I use a Heil mic on my 6300 with a Yaesu cable and no problems even running legal limit on any band.
  • Mike Agnew
    Mike Agnew Member ✭✭

Tim: What cable do I need to use the Shure SM58? From where?

Thanks,

Mike

• Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭

Heil PR-781 pairs well with the 6300.

No beads, no RF problems at full legal limit.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.