6300 losing contact with network / Fine directly in to PC

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Any trouble shooting suggestions for this?  After several days of the 6300 working well on a Win 7 i7 laptop and connected to LAN via a Ethernet cable from 6300 to router, today the 6300 "lost contact" with the network.  I rebooted the 6300 and SmartSDR and it was briefly "available"  but disappeared before I could click on "connect".  I then rebooted the laptop, everything was fine for about 30 seconds as SmartSDR connected and showed signals, then the loss of contact message was displayed again.  I have now switched to connection directly to the PC and all appears stable.  The network connection when I was briefly connected to the LAN was "excellent".   Router switching IP addresses all of a sudden , perhaps ?
Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 381 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 851 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes

Many routers will allow you to reserve an I/P address while using DHCP by entering the MAC address of the unit. You might try that.

Jim, K6QE

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 546 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Next time just try rebooting the router and see if that's what happened, you may consider setting the Radio to a static Address if your Router keeps forgetting what IP the radio is on.

73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2255 Posts
  • 882 Reply Likes
A lot of routers are woefully underpowered with the SoC allowing it to barely get out of bed in the morning. I would suggest using a separate switch connected to the router (you can get a cheap gig switch from places like micro center or amazon). Make sure you're using good cables too. Sometimes cables aren't crimped properly. I would recommend getting good quality cat6 patch cords with the boot on it. I usually buy them from monoprice, good bang for the buck. 
(Edited)