6300 keeps shuting down on Tune

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Yesterday, I moved my 6300 from the desk to a shelving unit.  Went to operate the 160m test last night and the radio shuts down within 2-3 seconds of going into the Tune mode.  Looking at the SWR bar and the Antenna tuner the swr is 1.2:1 or slightly higher.  Changed out coax, switched antennas , rearranged equipment  looking for possible rfi problems. Also did it with the dummy load on line eliminating the antennas. (lots of wind and rain).  Researched the archives for previous problems with no real matches. Tried a number of them with no luck.  Running SSDR  v6.1.21 into a dell i5 with 8 gb ram, 2.3 cpu.
The kicker is this morning I turned on the radio for the naqp rtty test, everything worked great. Tuned up on 20m and ran fine. NO shut down's.  Then about a half hour ago, I went to work in the contest and it started up again.  Shutting down after 2-3 seconds, obviously a safety factor (TU Flex). Shut down the computer and let it sit, rebooted , no joy. changed out coax and antennas again. I have a L and a 270 ft loop. 
Is it possible for a software problem?  If so, do I reload the software on top of the present or follow Tim's article and delete everything and start over. TU for any and all help. 73 Marty W8AKS

A
Photo of Marty Bluhm

Marty Bluhm

• 38 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 451 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Marty, it's all guesswork of course, but I would certainly look at the 12v connections at the radio and power supply, and the power supply itself. Best of luck ...
(Edited)
Photo of Marty Bluhm

Marty Bluhm

• 38 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Official Response
W7NGA, I dont see a name but I can't thank you enough and to the group. The 6300 is powered by a MFJ 4230 mv power supply. The supply has a small knob in the upper right corner to adjust the voltage. It has a notch at the 1200 position for 13.8v. Apparently in the move, the adjustment got moved to the left making the voltage down around 10v.  Your suggestion led me to it and for that I thank you. It is working fine. 73 Marty W8AKS
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Hi Marty,
Another good example of why it would be a good idea to have the VOLTAGE displayed on the front panel.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/power-meter

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Scott - WM7C

Scott - WM7C

• 42 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Mine does.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 451 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
We've all done something similar Marty. Glad you are back on-the-air.

dan  W7NGA
San Juan Island, Wa.
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 818 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Mark has a new revision for his FRStack.exe software that gives you a voltmeter and SWR meter among other things

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.