Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 Flashing green led, will not power up

Rob G6EIH
Rob G6EIH Member
We had a power outage yesterday and since then my 6300 will not start up, the green led just keeps flashing, have tried to factory reset but no luck, if I hold the power button in the most it will do is change colour to flashing white/grey. Have removed all connections and dc power for a good 2 hours, as soon as power is connected we go right back to flashing green led.

Help.....

Comments

• N5BE
    N5BE Member
    edited January 2019
    Rob

I'm very new to Flex so I have limited experience. I have noticed that my 6300 has a similar quirk that is annoying. I'm running a brand new, dedicated gaming tower with Win 10. Except for the keyboard, the FlexControl and a bluetooth mouse theres nothing else plugged in or running. If I start the sequence normally on first startup I have no issues. If for some reason I have to interrupt that when the radio is running is where it gets different. If I have to shutdown the radio or SmartSDR the radio will no longer "see" the computer. If I turn the radio back on all I get is a hung blinking green light. To clear this I must do a restart on the computer. Not a complete shutdown. During the restart process the blinking green will turn solid and when SmartSDR reappears it "see's" the radio and away we go. I'm assuming it needs a new IP address to function. Not sure if this will help with your situation but I thought I would tell you whats going on here and see it would help you.

Lee

KF5YBE
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Rob.
    After power down, the green light flashes for about 90 secs on power up before it goes solid and the computer finds it, which is normal, I presume you are waiting long enough?
    Cheers
    Paul
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Rob

Just guessing in the dark here. Check your P.S. voltage. Should be close to 13.8 while radio is booting. If the boot continues to fail, I suggest you enter a problem ticket with Flex.

Roy - W5TKZ 
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi guys, thanks for all your reply’s Roy nailed it with the power supply, I was being ultra careful when the power came back on again and I made sure everything was switched off and shutdown correctly, looks like I caught the adjustable voltage switch on the PS and it was set a 9 volts. Now I have it on the fixed setting 13.8 all is good.

No Flexradio I was getting withdrawal symptom’s.

Rob 

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Lee, all fun and games with these new devices, is your flex connected direct to the computer or via a router - switch, I believe it's best connected to a router where it can obtain the IP address through DCHP.

Had a similar problem until I got it running on the router. 
  • N5BE
    N5BE Member
    edited October 2015
    Its direct....
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    I'd go for connecting it via a router where it will acquire it's own IP address, don't think windows is very good at managing IP's plus anything new connected will confuse windows due to not having a DCHP server to control IP's. I have mine running on a high speed wireless network and can use the Flex anywhere in the house or garden on the laptop.
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Flex 6300

SmartSDR version 1.5.1

Windows 7 Pro

Problem:  When powering on 6300, power LED continues to flash green.  Typically, this boot up only takes between 45 seconds and 1 minute.  LED continues to flash green, regardless of how long I wait.  I must push the power button again, wait until the LED stops flashing green and the unit turns off.  Then,  the unit will flash green for approximately 45 seconds as normal until solid green. The unit then functions properly.  This procedure must be done every time to operate.

What I’ve tried : Holding power button in to perform a reset…unit goes through a series of different color LED’s.  Unit will then stay green and will function normally, until unit is shut off.   Next power on will induce the same flashing green light, regardless of how long I wait.  Once again, the unit must be powered down and will function normally after powering on again.  Also, I have tried to disconnect the power leads to the unit for an hour and reconnecting.  Same result….flashing green LED does not stop flashing.  Every time I want to operate I must power on, after waiting for quite a while, I must power off and power back on until green LED is on solid. The power supply being used is an Astron SS-30M putting out in excess of 13.8 vDC.  Any help to resolve this is greatly appreciated.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    @Jay - I recommend that you open a HelpDesk support ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so we can investigate further.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Jay, Did you create your own power cable?
    I had a similar problem once and it was due to a cold solder union on a homemade powerpole cable.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    same here with my 6300 (v1.5.1, Windows 10). never occurred before this latest release. removed power, rebooted, all is well.
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the advice...the cables came with the 6300.  I have had no issues with the 6300 since purchasing new.  This condition happened shortly after upgrading to 1.5.1.  I've tried to uninstall and re-install, I've tried to reset by pushing the power button and keeping it pressed until it goes through the reset procedure, and I've tried disconnecting power to the unit and reconnecting after a few minutes.  Nothing has worked.  I am not home at the moment to create a help desk ticket as Tim suggested (need the serial number on the back of the unit to create a help desk ticket). 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    The radio serial number is not required to submit a HelpDesk ticket
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I completed a help desk ticket . In the mean time, I downgraded back to 1.4.16 and the problem no longer exists.  It seems the problem is with 1.5.1.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I suspect you may have had a bad firmware load.  It is rare, but happens.  You may want to download a new version of SmartSDR v1.5.1 to get a new firmware binary and try the install again.
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Tim.  I uninstalled and reinstalled v1.5.1 as well, but to no avail.  Awaiting a response from the help desk.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Jay,

Did you use the same file to do the update that you used before?  Try with a fresh download...maybe?

Greg
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I've got the same problem with my 6500.  When I boot the rig up it just sits and flashes green.  I have to power it down and bring it back up.  it boots up normally after that.  I've done a factory reset and still no joy.  Not a big deal but is annoying.

Tom
  • N3WWL
    N3WWL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Greg, I completely removed version 1.5.1, and downloaded and installed a fresh one. Still won't stop flashing green. Version 1.4.16 operates as it should with no more than 30-40 seconds of hardware boot time. I truly believe there may be a bug with 1.5.1 causing this, but I'm certainly no expert. I opened a help desk support ticket and have been corresponding with Dudley. I'm sure the team at Flex will find and cure the cause. Thanks...
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited October 2015
    Same thing happened to me this morning. Had to power down the computer and do a hard reset on the Flex 6300. The green light was flashing for 5 plus minutes.. Guess something got hung up.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    There seems to be a timeout situation happening on some 6300s.  When the radio is booted up, after a few minutes, the radio is still showing a flashing green power LED.  If the radio is shut down by pressing and holding the power button until it shuts down, then immediately powered back on with a single press and release of the power button (not a press and hold), then the radio will start up normally.  We are actively investigating this behavior to determine root cause.
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have also had this issue only once however.  I am suspecting its something to do with Networking stack.  I had a situation where even though I had the unit communicating through a router the SmartSDR client thought it was direct connection. - I speculate this as there was no Subnet mask.  After this happened upon the next reboot the Flex light was on for about five minutes before I ended up shutting down and doing a full reset.
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim,
    Same problem here since loading 1.5.1   
    Repeats every time, First time powered up after sitting over night, it gets to the point
    where the display should show "Flex 6700"  but the display is blank and the green light keeps flashing...
    Hold the power button until it shuts down, Press again to restart and all is OK.
    I also reset the radio "Power button along with the OK"   No change.
    Flex 6700, Limited Edition, Win 7, 

Ken W9IE
  • gek1925 gek1925
    gek1925 gek1925 Member
    edited October 2015
    Same problem after upgrade to 1.5.1 on my 6500 Limited. Happends every powering on. After power on, initialosation process start. Callibration is not finishing successful, display is blank and the green light flashing. Hold the power button until it shuts down, Press again to restart and my Flex-6500 starts sucsessfuly. regards, Gennady, RM3DA
  • Richard - MW0XDT
    Richard - MW0XDT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Same thing exactly here with my new 6500, 1.5.1, hangs after calibration until I press the power button, then shuts down. Press again and it fires up normally. Hope to find a solution, 73 Richard MW0XDT
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    Thinking of upgrading, does the 6500 and 6700 give any feedback via the built in display? I know on my 6300 the only indicator I have is the single LED if and when it decides to change colour, when no LAN connection it's a very dark place to be in with just a black box for company with one LED.
  • Kilroy
    Kilroy Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tim,  I am having the same problem.  This thread is marked Solved.  What was the solution?
  • Richard - MW0XDT
    edited December 2016
    The problem is not solved, Roger. The initiator of the post, had a power supply issue so this was marked as solved...maybe we should start a new problem thread.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited July 2017
    Just for the record my 6500 is doing the same. Will not power on correctly until a "hold the power button down" and power back up action is initiated.  Power supply kept on.

The first try today---- would not power up correctly (constant flashing green). Power down with hold.
    The 2nd try today (few seconds from first try) power up was normal. Then power down for 3rd time.
    The 3rd  try today (few seconds from the 2nd) power up was normal.

Will follow this thread.

Chuck
  • Richard - MW0XDT
    edited January 2017
    Just to confirm, having instigated another help thread, this appears to be a software issue effecting 6K signature series. The issue has been handed to the appropriate department and a fix will no doubt be included in the next update....Also, by the way, I've noticed on my 6500, I don't have to force a shut down by holding the power button....just a single, momentary press and the radio will shut down after a short wait. 73 Richard MW0XDT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.