6300 fans

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Hi all,

I have a 6300 I plan to use for SOTA, Field Day, etc.  I just replaced the main fan in it with a Noctua fan.  I successfully used a Noctua NF-A8 FLX fan. This fan fit right in and was plug compatible and the 6300 seems perfectly happy with this fan in place and it is EXTREMELY quiet.

I would like to replace the smaller CPU/FPGA fans but I have been unable to find them for sale anywhere.    I am considering adapting another CPU cooler fan to do the job but thought I would ask here first if anyone has any 6300/6500 CPU fans they would like to sell me.  I think I need two.

Alternatively, Tim, anyone at Flex I would be happy to buy two fans from FRS.  Let me know.

Mark - WS7M
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1009 Posts
  • 360 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 214 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
A Flex Signature owner posted regarding replacing these fans sometime late last year, I believe. He had found replacement fans that were of the same specs, but a better, more reliable model. He had to buy them in quantity, so he made them available to users from his personal quantity purchase. Search for Flex 6300 fans. It appears that early 6300 units from 2014 had good, reliable fans, but later models had fans from a questionable stock that Flex had obtained. Perhaps that 6300 owner can give you info on obtaining the CPU fans, or Flex may have a good stock of 6300 fans still available.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1008 Posts
  • 360 Reply Likes
Hi Greg,

That was Eric I believe and he no longer has any.   But I appreciate the comment.

Hope all is well.

Mark
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 214 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
I have an early 6300 bought at the 2014 Hamvention. Never had any fan problems. It was from the first lot of 6300s made. Sorry Eric no longer has the fans. If your 6300 is either an early or late make, it may be OK. It seems that the ones from a year or two after their introduction had the fan issues.
Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 212 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Mark,

Any luck with the individuals I mentioned in my email?
Photo of Pat

Pat

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The connection 6300 with the cable also fits on the Noctua NF-A8 FLX fan ??

(Edited)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1008 Posts
  • 360 Reply Likes
Yes Pat.  Plugs right in and works!
Photo of Pat

Pat

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Tnx Mark order placed.

73 Pat ON3CQ
Photo of Pat

Pat

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Mark am amazed by the result thanks for the good tip.