Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 fan noise - should I worry?

Options
Ken Hansen
Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My Flex 6300 runs 24x7 to enable remote operation. The radio lives in a clean, but not temperature controlled, garage environment in Texas. I had no problems with heat in summer or cold this fall, but several days ago I noticed my radio was unavailable via SmartSDR/SSDR for iOS, so I checked out the radio in person at remote location. Problem: Powered up radio, green light flashed on and off, and then made a horrible racket. After about a minute, the radio 'clicked', then powered down. It did this several times over the next 15 minutes, never once staying 'on'. Since I didn't have proper tools at remote location, boxed up the radio and brought it home. Put radio on the bench, connected it to 13.8v, radio again turned on, but made loud fan noises... this time though it stayed on, the flashing green light stayed on, an the radio seemed fine. I opened the case to clean the fans, they were all clean. Hooked up power with the lid off, radio powered up and stayed up. Put cover back on the radio, pushed in the power switch, and the fans were quiet. Not silent, not clanging, but reasonably quiet and the radio came up and stayed up. Question: So my question: should I be worried about future fan failure? Could it be a thermal thing? The inside of the radio is pristine, so I don't think it's a dirty fan problem. Any ideas/advice? TIA, Ken, N2VIP

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Were you able to tell just witch fan made noise? Even if the fans are clean the bushing in the motor could be on their way out. Ken, you can service the fans buy taking the seal off the center and putting a small drop of 3and1 oil in the bushing. This may give extra life to the fans.
    Keep an ear out to them. If the fans slow down too much the radio will shut down even before the temp goes up to high.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Good question, my 6500 is over 3 years old and shortly after I got it the fan made a terrible noise and the radio faulted out. After several power cycles it went away and has never returned.
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Ken,
    As usual Bill makes a lot of sense with his thoughtful answer. But I would like to take it a bit further. I will talk of the 6500. It has 4 fans and it is difficult to tell which of them is on the way out. Two fans are on the sides of the radio and easily accessible. To identify which fan or fans need replacing, get a stethoscope or an insensitive microphone and put it near each fan in turn, recording what the mic. picks up. It becomes quickly evident which needs replacing. If it is the side fans they are easily replaced. I can't speak of the internal ones. My suggestion is that you find the noisy one or ones and replace both.  If one is going, it is only a matter of time and the other will follow. Operating it remote it is better to be safe than have the radio turn itself off again due to insufficient air being generated. I operate my 6500 remote and now use a wifi switch to turn it on when I want to use it, rather than leaving it turned on all the time.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi Ken, you'll find another thread on this forum about this exact issue on the 6300, complete with pictures.

Glad to see another Flex owner in the RWK too!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Ken, the reason I mentioned possibly servicing the fans is because the small fans inside the shield are no longer available anywhere. If it is a side fan, you can find an exact replacement on line.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi Bill and Ken,
    Eric just posted on the community 3 weeks ago about placing another order for the small 50MM fans.  

Ken, here are some notes, pics and video about replacing the fans on my web page:

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Brian VK3MI
    Brian VK3MI Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi Ken

I think you should be worried. I had a Flex-6300 with similar symptoms that gradually got worse over time and eventually resulted in the radio failing to boot up on a regular basis. FlexRadio will fit new fans in this situation - see https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flex-6xxx-fan-replacement

73, Brian VK3MI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.