6300 Echo

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I am going to assume this is RF and going to proceed based on that but thought I would throw it out there for those who own Flex Products.

I have a new 6300 that I am getting reports of a faint echo on my audio and sometimes worse than others.  I have a good RF ground on all my equipment and have added type 31 ferrite on the mic cable but going to start adding more cores on everything else as well as some radio works T4 line isolators I have laying around. I have disconnected as much as possible from the 6300 including the speaker output that goes to my small audio amp to power speakers.

As I said I thought I would toss it out to other owners as RF seems like the logical culprit to me.

Rich
kd0zv
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
In my case it was RF for sure.  Plugged in the replacement 6500 and it took off and hasn't had a hint of RF or echo. No other changes. So in my case it was the 6300.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1674 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Rich
It's good to hear, that your no longer hearing things you don't want to hear. ;0)
Jay - NO5J
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 226 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
My Flex 6300 with "the echo" has been returned and appears to be fixed.  Even the local critic is impressed!  My unit was UPSed at Flex expense on 1/21, arrived 1/26, repaired 2/6 and received here 2/11...  not bad!  The fix applied (ECO 75-1006) is supposed to "improve circuit balance of the front panel mic input to mitigate induced fan noise."   I believe this problem is relatively uncommon.  Kudos to Dudley for recognizing I had reported a problem for which there was a fix and authorizing the expedited RMA.   As usual, great support, Flex Radio Systems.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Great News!  Glad it wasn't something major.  And yes, the FRS Customer service team is the best!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 226 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Yep,  I was fearing there was some grounding related gremlin that was causing excessive RF in the shack...  even though none of the 3 powered speaker systems in the room were complaining.  Yay for relatively simple solutions.  It was kinda like the time my NC 173 RX died during high school.  A non ham friend came in, thought he should feel the tubes to find the bad one (there were several metal tubes), felt the cold one and said "there's your problem."  He was right.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Bill, just happened to run across a couple guys in Missouri tonight. One was running a 6500 and the other a 6300.  Cory had the 6300 and was having the same issues we were. Slight echo, raspy undertones, etc. If he lowered his gain back the radio cleaned up some but lost all punch.

So, I am guessing his will be making the trip back too.
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Rich , Thanks for joining our conversation on 80 meters this evening. I've already opened up a ticket with Dudley, So I'll keep you posted.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Hey Cory Glad you made it to this thread. I am sure Flex will get you fixed up and the 6300 will be sounding great.

As I said my email is current on QRZ so feel free to give me a shout email if needed.
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Bill, This is Corey KC0YNS. I'd like to discuss your problem with the 6300 via the phone or at least off list... My Email is my call sign at yahoo.com if you'd send me a note I'll get back to you... Thanks
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
I am glad to hear this.  I  have no idea what was the cause with mine as I went the 6500 route but after talking to Tim I was comfortable with the fact they had a game plan and could in fact fix it.
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thought I'd update you guy's, My 6300 was picked up by UPS today heading to TX for repair.Hoping it's an easy fix like Bill's.(ECO 75-1006) One thing ,Dudley spoke to me on the phone for 30-40 minutes, What great service...Do you think any of the other Radio dealers would do that? You'd be lucky for them to just answer the phone, Just to have them tell you to read the manual. Just hate not having the radio for a couple weeks...Will update when I find out more   
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Thats Great Cory.  Are you guys usually around the same frequency  on 75? Would like to hook up with you again.
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Rich, We check into the Missouri traffic net each evening early check-ins at 5:15. I'm on a rag chew b/4 net on 3964.20 stating around 4:00 Jeff checks in late around 5:45 then he normally goes to 3.813 & does that Easypal thing.... N5DOA comes to the early rag chew on occasion, Maybe you know him? He's a wealth of information when it comes to Flex. I'm hoping that they get mine fixed to where I'm happy with my audio. I'm looking for clean, Loud , Deep audio that I've had with any of my other HF Rigs.... If I'd have the money maybe I would upgrade to the 6500 But then again shouldn't the 6300 be able to give me good audio? Guess we will see.... Looking forward to talking again, 73.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
There is another bunch of Flexers that hang out at 3.817 +\- QRM from about 8 to 10 pm EST.
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks Ken  Yep, They do the EasyPal software. Good group of guy's.  Fun to see the of the pictures they send around....
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Corey, I am pretty sure once they get you fixed up your audio will be the same as the 6500/6700.
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Can anyone tell me what ECO 75-1006 Fix consist of?  It's what listed with Bill's 6300 audio fix.    

Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Not exactly but Tim told me something to do with internal mic wiring from the front panel.  Might be a different cable assy or just rerouting.  Sounds like it might have had something to do with proximity to fan based on what Bill said.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
We verify and modify if necessary the grounding point of the mic input circuit to improve noise rejection.  There is no cable involved; the circuit is on the TRX board.
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Tim, Thank you for letting us know, It's appreciated. Can I expect the 6300 to match the great audio I'm hearing from the 6500's?  I've tried several different microphones currently Heil PR-781 using studio cables into a EQ plus & 8 band EQ by W2IHY into the 8 pin foster plug, Tried all combinations of the 6300 EQ & Having w2ihy equipment off, and vice versa & in between.    
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 226 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes

Hope you got my email with phone number.  If not, my email is k8dxx@wowway.com .

Photo of John Leonardelli

John Leonardelli

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
The $7 Audio Line isolator works well and is useful for other radios as well.