Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 Cat Control of Expert 1KFA

mlstutler
mlstutler Member ✭✭
Just connected my Expert 1KFA to the 6300.   Works like a champ.   I can hear the tuner relays clicking away when I peruse the bands.   Now on to test the Maestro....

Comments

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Mike,

What cable did you end up using?
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Did you connect using just a cable or thru DDUtil?
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    To answer the questions.  

Originally using DDUtil I had a purchased a RS-232 card for my pc.   I had made up a DB9 to DB25 connector to go from the pc to the amp.   I just took that cable and pluged it into the usb to DB9 cable I purchased from Flex.   If you don't have one you will need to make one.   I believe the pin outs are in the Expert manual.   I used Cat 5 cable.   Now the path is:

Flex > usb > db9>  db25  > Expert.

Also tested Maestro.  Works very well.   I went into DDUtil and disabled the expert amp settings.  I have not tried CW Skimmer yet.  I assume I will still need DDUtil to make that work.   Should be interesting. 
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry to be pedantic, but it is a pet hate of mine (I have many!) The 9 pin D-Sub connector is actually called DE-9. The second letter denotes the shell size. (B for 25 way and E for 9 way). Also aren't the 1K-FA CAT connections DA-15 (15 way) not DB-25? 
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    yes 15 pin on spe cat
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Phil,  Larry you guys are correct.   I did not take the connector of the Expert to verify.   Like I said earlier the pinouts are in the manual so that is where you should be going to research what to buy.   Regardless of my errors, you get the idea of how it is hooked up.

Regards
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Here are the mouser parts I ordered originally.   I would look for a different 9P socket as there the mounting post is male and not female.   

523-17E-1657-15 15P  METAL
    523-17E-1657-09 9P METAL
    571-5-747905-2  9P SOCKET ZINC
    747908-2 15P PLUG TIN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.