6300 Cat Control of Expert 1KFA

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
Just connected my Expert 1KFA to the 6300.   Works like a champ.   I can hear the tuner relays clicking away when I peruse the bands.   Now on to test the Maestro....
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 119 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 396 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Hi Mike,

What cable did you end up using?
Photo of Paul - K6HR

Paul - K6HR

• 68 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Did you connect using just a cable or thru DDUtil?
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 119 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
To answer the questions.  

Originally using DDUtil I had a purchased a RS-232 card for my pc.   I had made up a DB9 to DB25 connector to go from the pc to the amp.   I just took that cable and pluged it into the usb to DB9 cable I purchased from Flex.   If you don't have one you will need to make one.   I believe the pin outs are in the Expert manual.   I used Cat 5 cable.   Now the path is:

Flex > usb > db9>  db25  > Expert.

Also tested Maestro.  Works very well.   I went into DDUtil and disabled the expert amp settings.  I have not tried CW Skimmer yet.  I assume I will still need DDUtil to make that work.   Should be interesting. 
(Edited)
Photo of Phil m0vse

Phil m0vse

• 205 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Sorry to be pedantic, but it is a pet hate of mine (I have many!) The 9 pin D-Sub connector is actually called DE-9. The second letter denotes the shell size. (B for 25 way and E for 9 way). Also aren't the 1K-FA CAT connections DA-15 (15 way) not DB-25? 
(Edited)
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 389 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
yes 15 pin on spe cat
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 119 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Phil,  Larry you guys are correct.   I did not take the connector of the Expert to verify.   Like I said earlier the pinouts are in the manual so that is where you should be going to research what to buy.   Regardless of my errors, you get the idea of how it is hooked up.

Regards
(Edited)
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 119 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Here are the mouser parts I ordered originally.   I would look for a different 9P socket as there the mounting post is male and not female.   

523-17E-1657-15 15P  METAL
523-17E-1657-09 9P METAL
571-5-747905-2  9P SOCKET ZINC
747908-2 15P PLUG TIN