6300 blinking when Off and PS is turned off

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
What is the 6300 doing when it's Off and I turn the 12V supply Off - it blinks Green 3-4 times then on the next blink the light fades out?  I've read what I can find in the Community posts and it seems this sequence is OK but what is the light telling me if anything?  
Photo of Dick B

Dick B

• 106 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9152 Posts
  • 3478 Reply Likes
Official Response
Dick - with the radio in a powered down state, it isn't completely powered off; there are internal processors that are still running if power is applied to the radio (this is the PSoC processor).  When you shut down your power supply, the PSoC throws an error when the supply voltage drops below 9.5 VDC.  This is normal - the radio is doing what it has been programmed to do.

Should you leave power applied to the radio even when it is turned off?  That is really a personal choice issue.  It does cost money to keep it powered on, but it is not significant based on your monthly power bill.  As Lee notes. this design allows for the radio to be remotely powered up when the PSoC receives a power on signal (similar to the once it gets when you push the front panel power button)