6300 and AM broadcast band

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I was trying to listen to the local AM station on 1400 Khz to catch the end of a College football game.  It did not appear that the 6300 covered the complete AM broadcast band.  Is this correct?  If you chose 160m it would go to approx 1600 Khz and if you chose band "630" you can get 550 to 670 Khz.  Is this correct that the 6000 series doesn't cover the full AM broadcast band or am I do I have something set incorrect?
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 102 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Try choosing GEN on the band select panel.
Photo of Mike Kasrich

Mike Kasrich

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have it doesn't show any signals between 670 and 1600.
Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 292 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
or just type 1.400 in to the frequency box...simples?
Photo of Mike Kasrich

Mike Kasrich

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm not saying you can't select the freq, there are just no signals between 670 and 1600 Khz
(Edited)
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Official Response
Check the antenna selection.
Photo of Kevin LaFata / K0KEV

Kevin LaFata / K0KEV

• 39 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I can confirm the 6300 DOES pick up local AM stations.  I've taken mine camping several times and was able to pick up "local" stations that were now an hour drive away. 
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1652 Posts
  • 600 Reply Likes
Can you post a screen shot of your SSDR window? Might help figure it out.
Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 292 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
mike, something obvious changes in your setup then. I use a 6300 and it is fine. Suggest you slide up from 160m and you may find that the selected antenna sockets changes over, or Attn goes on, or agc-T is very low there, or something like that!
Photo of Mike Kasrich

Mike Kasrich

• 16 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Ugh, like I said I figured I had something set incorrect and that was it, ant choice.  I purchased the radio from another ham.  I'll have to watch what is set up since I don't know how it was used before purchase.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Yes the antenna thing got me too. I found a case where if i just slid my panadapter back and forth it would change between ant1 and xvrtr
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
These things caught me out no end when I first became an SSDR user and still occasionally do.
Photo of Jim  KJ7S

Jim KJ7S

• 176 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
     I stayed on ant.1, switched to 160, collapsed the panadaptor till I could see from 0.0-6.4 mhz.
You can then expand the panadaptor to show the "closer in" view you may be accustomed to. I didn't notice an indication of it being in General rx mode, except for the unlocked padlock.