Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6300 after windows 8.1 upgrade SDR keeps losing conection

Steve - W1TAV
Steve - W1TAV Member ✭✭
My 6300 and 1.3.8 have been working great under Win 8. Last evening did the 8.1 upgrade, now when running Smart SDR,  I keep losing connection. I noted the Win 8.1 issue that other were having and have been though the route of uninstalling  1.3.8, I also let the 6300 sit over night with power removed.  Help!

Comments

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Are you connected to the radio directly or through a switch or router?

Jon...kf2e

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Try a complete uninstall of SmartSDR.  This would include all previous versions, the CAT driver (FlexVSP in the Windows Control Panel)  and the DAX drivers (uninstalled when you select NO during a SmartSDR uninstall.  Then make sure you have all of the windows updates installed for Win8.1 before installing SmartSDR v1.3.8.

If that does not work, then submit a HelpDesk support ticket.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Steve, you might check your ethernet adapter settings; one win 7 update here hosed up mine, FWIW.

per: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118518-Optimizing-Ethernet-Adapter-Settings-for-M...
    73, w5xz, dan

• JB
    JB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Just checking that you have done ALL of the additional updates after the upgrade to 8.1, there are many including specific driver updates for many Ethernet and video cards. You may need to check the "optional" upgrades listed when you force a Windows Update scan.
  • Steve - W1TAV
    Steve - W1TAV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Thanks all!

1: I am using a hub -  I don't see (think) that a Switch or Router would be necessary  keeping in mind the Hub I have been using has been working fine since May and there have been no changes in the LAN.

2: I did indeed remove all previous Smart SDR and CAT  versions before reinstalling V1.3.8xx

3: I am not sure if all drivers were updated. Likely meaning NO. No I did not do any additional steps, nor did I note any messages that additional steps were necessary, I assumed (mistake, I know) that once WIN 8.1 loaded,  updates would have or were done automatically.  I will check on them when I get home tonight.    

As an aside, I have to say that WIN 8.1 is an improvement at least at the GUI level over that of  WIN 8.  

I will keep all updated...

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Flex 6300 with Windows 8.1 on a new Dell i7 machine. Only issue I have noticed is the Radio Settings have changed from my selected values (once). Tune power was set to some odd value which leads me to believe it might have been corrupted. DAX works perfectly well, and as an old UNIX and OSX user I must say that I am rather pleased with Windows 8.1 and the clean look of SmartSDR.

dan W7NGA
    San Juan Island, Wa.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Steve,

Whether it was working before or not you really should get a switch to replace the hub. Every hub I have ever seen is only 10mb and every switch is at least 100mb and many 1gb. I recently bought a 5 port gigabit switch for $20. It's too cheap an option not to get. Maybe it won't solve your problem but it will certainly enhance the performance of SSDR.

Jon...kf2e
  • Steve - W1TAV
    Steve - W1TAV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014

Still disconnecting after 15-30 seconds!

To be clear the message I get is:

"Connection to radio has be lost, please reconnect"

So far:

I have installed  all of the available windows 8.1 updates, uninstalled Smart SDR and every bit of past Flex software, uninstalled anything I could find related to power and smart SDR. Reloaded everything from scratch. I have even gone into the device manager and checked that all devices where using the latest drivers.

Hub vs. Switch, I can see the point of changing out the hub, however I am reluctant to make any hardware changes and add yet another issue. The system was working at an acceptable level until I went from Windows 8 to Win 8.1!

Is there a hard reset for the 6300 and I and start the system as new?

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    On the 6500 if you hold the OK button while starting the radio after about five seconds you will reset the radio. I assume it is the same on the 6300. I don't think this will solve your problem because it only resets the persistence database and that is not likely your problem.

Why not hook the radio directly to the computer bypassing the hub and see if that works. A direct connection will rule out the hub.

Jon...kf2e
  • Steve - W1TAV
    Steve - W1TAV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014

Found it! I poked around on the Board and found that Robbie - KI4TTZ  (and others)  were having the same issues. Looked at what folks were saying there and got some ideas!  Turned out to be the CPU hitting 100% Cleaned up some stuff running in the background. the big offender  was "Daemon Process(1015)"  Looked around on the internet, I cant find anything definitive on this.. Any thoughts??  Looks like something the got switched on/installed with windows 8.1

27 years ago I started playing with Packet, we used to call this "pealing the onion" Thanks to all in the FlexRadio Community!   

• Steve - W1TAV
    Steve - W1TAV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Now that I found the issue, I'll look at changing out the Hub.. Thanks for setting me straight!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.