Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

60m band

Options
James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
why is not the FLEX 6600 will not tune?

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The Flex tries to tune at the (suppressed) carrier frequency, which is out of band for 60M. See Ken, NM9P's response at this link: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/60-meter-problem 73, Craig, KØCF

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Jim, In tune (zero beat) you have part of your signal out of channel, Move you frequency up 50Hz an D it should tune just fine , then move back , make sure your TX , is within the channel bandwidth too 100-2700. For USB. Dudley
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    This is a great explanation for operating on 60m by setting the BW to 100 & 2700 to be within the channel. Once the BW is 3Khz, or below, you can transmit.
    However, once you create a profile for each of the 60m channels with this profile, all of the other profiles that had been created previously, for all of the non 60m bands, change to this 100-2700 BW setting. 
    You cannot separate this between bands or profiles. Once the BW is specified it remains that for the entire radios profiles.
    Appears that the Mike, Transmit & Global settings do not capture and save this BW setting for specific bands like an RF Power setting can be set, preventing overdrive into a Linear Amp.

Tom W3FRG

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Tom, now that you and a few others have address some concerns with 60m operation, I think Flex will look into these things in coming releases.
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Bill,

Sounds like a plan.
    Very satisfied with the operation of SSDR with the 6600M.

Thanks  Tom W3FRG
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The transmit low and high settings are controlled by the Mic profile. All you have to do is create a special Mic profile for 60m and name it as such. Then have another Mic profile or profiles for all other bands that will use your preferred settings.
    You can associate a Mic profile with a Global profile to automate it.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Actually too many ideas get buried in discussion threads

you will be much more likely to get a response from the Flex development team if you post each feature request separately as a FEATURE REQUEST. Or IDEA and have people VOTE for them. That way the development team can gauge the demand for the feature.
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Craig,

I agree with you and the procedure you specified, but it doesn't work like that unfortunately.
    If I set the profile to the 100-2700 and save to a 60m channel and then load it in it comes up as saved.
    Now, go to one of your other profiles that has a BW setting different than the 100-2700 and load it in.
    It won't be what you originally saved, but will now be the 100-2700 as was set when you created the 60m profile.

Tom W3FRG
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I don't believe this is an IDEA or FEATURE REQUEST as you suggest, its either a software failure or a function that has been overlooked.

Tom W3FRG
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I find that just switching to cw and then tune is the easiest and then back to usb to operate.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Tom, 

Originally no continuous carriers were allowed on 60 meter channels,   so if you had to tune an external tuner,  you were forced to do it with an antenna analyzer of some sort.   That was the rule,  still is restricted to only CW and digital modes as long as it meets the restrictions..   Howard is correct, the more support for your thoughts on being able to tune with an offset on 60 meters the sooner we will see it ,   post as an Ideal ..  One suggestion is to make memory channels 1-5 for SSB , digital and maybe tune , then everything should be all set for you, including the bandwidth.   Just a thought .   
    Dudley , WA5QPZ
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Dudley,

My original question wasn't being able to tune on 60m, but to congratulate the individual, turns out its you, that found out that the BW had to be ~100-2700 in order to do so.

My findings are that once those BW settings are saved in a new 60m profile, all of my other non 60m Profiles, typically 50-3200 are then automatically changed to the new 100-2700 values.

I cannot separate them in Profiles like I do for power settings when driving power input sensitive Amps like LDMOS at <15w.

Tom W3FRG
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I wasn't using the mike profile name correctly.
    Once I changed the mike profile name to "60m ATR1300", and set the 60m transmit BW to less than 3Khz, which allows transmit, like "50-2850", it was then saved in the new 60m Profile.
    The mike profile used on the other bands was not changed as I previously saw using the same Mike Profile name.

Tom W3FRG.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.