Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6000 Series Preventative Maintenance

Tim N9PUZ
Tim N9PUZ Member ✭✭
I have a Flex-6400M that has performed very well since it was purchased. Like a computer, it has fans, slots for airflow, etc. Is there any recommended procedure for periodic maintenance? Should it be checked inside for dust? Blown out with air? Vacuumed out? Fan blades cleaned?

I have an anti-static bench mat, proper tools, etc. at home and have access to most anything imaginable for electronic repair at work.

Tim N9PUZ

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Tim, an interesting question!! My Desktop Gaming Computer has 4 fans in it. Plus the main input front fans have a cover and dust filter.. I need to clean that about twice a year. Also the fan on the Microprocessor is cleaned out once a year.. I shut off my computer, use a vacuum cleaner to **** up the dust when I **** it out with a can of compressed air..

As for the Flex,, Only a simple inspection can give you your answers. My Flex is about 2 years old... Back in January I decided to open it up and take a peek. Everything looked relatively clean inside. Used my can air to give it a short air cleaning and put it back together.. The more the radio is ON, the more chances dust will get inside. I shut my 6600M off when not in use.

Now SO MUCH depends on your environment. I have no pets and not much dust here in San Diego. I also have a Winix Plasma Air all room Air Purifier that I run 7 X 24 to minimize dust in the shack.. That helps but does not eliminate radio gear, desk top and STUFF from getting dusty.. 

Robert

https://winixamerica.com/product/c535/?gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6ArM4pi5s2cDNaUdy2LF9B8p27u5BLTALQOX25ThB0kOjAan7erYUvBoC5z8QAvD_BwE

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'm sure you know this but just be careful with these two methods of cleaning,
    If you use canned air to **** out the radio HOLD the fan blades from spinning and DON'T let them over speed shortening the life of the Fans drastically.
    If you use a vacuum make sure it is designed for Electronics otherwise the Static Electricity inherent to a vacuum WILL fry the radio.  
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Tim N9PUZ
    Tim N9PUZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I plan to inspect later in the week. I have my shack in an unfinished basement. It's moderately clean, but still a basement.
  • Tim N9PUZ
    Tim N9PUZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    If cleaning is needed I'll most likely use air like you clean a normal computer with. I am aware of not wanting to spin the fans but I appreciate you mentioning it for the benefit of others who may be following the thread.
  • Tim N9PUZ
    Tim N9PUZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Robert, that room aircleaner looks pretty interesting. Might help out with my alergies !
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Correct, I should have mentioned the vacuum cleaner to use... Holding the plastic tip away from critical components is important or use the one I use, but in all cases be smart about how you do it.

ESD Safe,,

https://www.globaltestsupply.com/product/scs_electronics_vacuum_497ajm?gclid=CjwKCAjw3-bzBRBhEiwAgnnLCmVx5_vg6McEoifuIWVtpxGaJAvlcgCwQyxyepLiUxSBG6wzyHjuLBoC4usQAvD_BwE
  • henrylance
    henrylance Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Is the force of the air stream, from canned air strong enough to get the deep / hidden dust, out of the fans.  Is there one brand o canned air that is better than others.  Somehow, i seem to remember that some are purer than others.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I have been using Canned Air that I get at Costco. With can air, the issue is the can will get COLD rather fast.. So burst of air for say 5-10 seconds is normal. After a bit the air pressure will go down a lot, seems normal for most of these I have used... And always keep the can level, dont turn it say upside down. If that happens then a cold MIST will spray from the can... 

On Line you get 12 cans, but they sell 6 cans in the store. Plus canned air is available at lots of places if you only need a single can.. 

https://www.costco.com/dust-off-compressed-gas-duster%2c-12-pack.product.11228077.html
  • henrylance
    henrylance Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thank you,  k4wh
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    Please read the HelpDesk article: How to properly clean the FLEX-6000 Cooling fans
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Tim, Doug K9CRT over here in Decatur, IL. I removed the cover from my 6400M (bought 2 yrs ago) and inspected it. I didn't find much dust, lint, etc and my radio is on most of time (LAN use) and is in a finished basement. I really don't think you have much too worry but a inspection when you have time will put your mind to rest. Good luck, good DX and stay safe in this crazzzzzzzzzzy world. I might add I cleaned my fan with an old tooth brush but it is very difficult to get in there. I also used some Q-tips to sort of clean up not only the fan but else where. Like I said really not much there.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Maybe someone at flex can make a video on how to properly clean/maintain a flexradio including fans?
    May make for less helpdesk tickets on this issue. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.