Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6000 internal tuner bypass and resume...

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is there a way via CAT command or other means to tell the rig to bypass the 6000's internal tuner for a while so I can switch to another antenna that doesn't need the tuner for a quick contact, and then turn the tuner back on for my main antenna that DOES need the tuner ... WITHOUT requiring the ATU to repeat the tuning process?

Use case:

I am trying to do some DXing on 80 Meters with an Inverted 'L' which needs a tuner.
I occasionally want to switch to my 80 meter OCF Dipole, which doesn't need the tuner.
The problem is that with the tuner in line, when I switch to the dipole, the dipole has high SWR and RX signal loss because the tuner isn't currently maximized for it.
If I turn the tuner to bypass, all is good, until I switch back to the Vertical.  If I turn the ATU back on, it cycles back to tune the antenna, rather than returning the settings back to where they had just been before the switch, which wastes time and puts a carrier on the frequency unnecessarily.  (albeit only at 10 Watts, but it lasts 2-15 seconds, depending upon the frequency and load I am matching)

I would like to be able to put the tuner in and out of line without it having to retune unless I tell it to.

Some may ask...."Why don't you just use on with ANT1 and the other with ANT2 on the rig?
The answer is that both antennas are fed with the same feedline and a remote antenna switch at my tower.

Answers

• Chuck - KJ6HT
    Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ken,
    I have a similar use case. I use the MEM button to bypass and the MEM button to re-insert the tuner in the circuit. I only use the ATU button when I want to tune again.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Is there a way via CAT command or other means to tell the rig to bypass the 6000's internal tuner for a while so I can switch to another antenna that doesn't need the tuner for a quick contact, and then turn the tuner back on for my main antenna that DOES need the tuner ... WITHOUT requiring the ATU to repeat the tuning process?

No.  You have to use network API commands to control the state of the ATU.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks, Tim. Another reason for me to buck up and learn more network API......
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ken- If running low power to the "L" how about a remote tuner at the tower for the "L"?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have three runs of LMR-400 Ultraflex type coax running to the tower. One to the four-position antenna switch which selects the T-11 Log Periodic, dipole, or inverted 'L.' The other two runs feed a double yagi (vertical/horizontal) for two meters. What I will probably do is cut one of those two meter runs and use it to feed the inverted 'L' separately, and use a two position remote switch for the two meter antennas. Then I can feed two HF coaxes to the 6500. But I will probably need to wait until it warms up. I really don't want to solder coax connectors out at the tower when it is only 14F outside!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.