Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6 meter repeater offset incorrect

i have another post regarding 2m repeaters not working. i decided to bypass the 2m setup using the DEMI transverter and go directly to 6 meters,
 I setup a frequency of 53.29 mhz with an offset of -1.7 mhz. i could hear people talking in the repeater but when i transmitted the frequency shown on my panadapter was more like 53.246.
however when i keyed my mike i did see the repeater respond with a signal at 53.29mhz.
could this be part of my problem getting a 2m repeater to respond. please see attached graphic.image

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    That's probably just a small spur showing up - widen your panadapter to cover both frequencies in the pair for a better view. 1.7 MHz is an unusual 6m split, by the way.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I can easily hit some local 2m repeaters w/ 0.6 offset and a 6m repeater w/ a 0.5 offset. Not certain why you are having difficulties. It does appear you learned how to enable CTCSS.
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    James, are you sure the offset is 1.7Mhz? 6m repeaters usually have an offset of -500khz. 1.7Mhz is the offset for 70cm repeaters in the UK.

edit: Obviously the 70cm offset in the UK is 1.6Mhz.... Not enough caffeine this morning!
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited June 2020
    Heres the specs on the repeater. If im calculating correctly the offset is 1.7 Mhz Output Input Tone Call Sign Location 53.2900 51.5900 100.0 W7AW West Seattle [WS ARC]
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    Ill double check and post.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Just looked it up and all 6m repeaters in seattle area have a -1.7 mhz offset.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Did you try it with the standard -500khz for the heck of it. Maybe the printing of the offset is wrong
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Yes you are quite correct, sorry I had never seen that offset used for 6m repeaters before!
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    Totally correct. When i expanded the pan adapter to show the repeater input frequency and keyed the mic the frequency was correct. Still no audio response from the repeater though.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    Maybe wrong pl tone or you are just not hitting the repeater
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    Also your display shows you at 53.290.100 and not 53.290.0
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    James, what do you mean by "no audio response"?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In my part of the US, more 6 meter repeaters at on a 1 MHz split than any other.  There are a few that have more than 1 MHz offset.  Other regions have apparently adopted different standard splits on 6 Meters.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When you stretch your panadapter to show the transmit frequency, can you detect any audio on the display as you talk? 

• Dave -- W5DJB
    Dave -- W5DJB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I think at this point I would set up simplex with tone to TX on 51.590 while watching panadapter on 53.290. You can then play with tone and frequency (offset) until the repeater responds. If it never happens, hardware configuration, mode is suspect or you are just not hitting the repeater. Your display TX is off frequency but tone and FM mode are enabled.  When I look up the W7AW repeater, your repeater setup looks perfect except for the exact 53.290 frequency.  I suggest you lock the frequency when you are playing with it to prevent accidentally touching the mouse wheel and changing it.
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    Im used to the repeater teansmitting when i key my mic. Its not doing so. Jim
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    I double checked. The offset is -1.7 mhz. Jim
  • James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks very much Dave. Ihave sent my yaesu walkie talkie in for repair as even though i have it on simplex with no offset, my flex 6700 panadapter is showing it transmitting the wrong frequency.jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Using the latest version of SmartSDR for Windows (1.8.3), I have verified that on FM, both a + and - offset of 1.7 MHz works properly on FM.  The 6m FM repeaters in my area use a -1.0 MHz offset.  Some require a CTCSS tone, others do not.  I have hit both types of repeaters and opened them.

Even had a short QSO on one, so I do not believe there is anything systematically broken in SmartSDR that requires fixing.  I think your issue is local to your setup, such as incorrect repeater info, antenna issues of possibly a configuration problem
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I agree Tim - when I was in Bellevue, (just east of seattle) I was able to key up and talk to people using the 6 meter repeater on 53.170 repeater with minus 1.7 MHz split and 100 Tx tone.

Now thats the only repeater I could key up, so my range was not good (in temp apartment) but it worked.  The configuration was straight forward and did not seem tricky.   I do not remember the display - just configured the radio, and keyed it up.  Chatted with two people and then went back to HF, and then back on a plane and gone. 

Anyway Cheers and good luck !

• James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    thanks Tim.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.