Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5BDXCC Finally arrived!

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Ordered in late June 2018, it finally arrived last week! They all have been delayed so they could redesign the plaque. I think it was worth the wait. All low power (100 Watts) and almost all with my Flex 6500 over the past five years. Thanks for a great rig! Ken - NM9P

Comments

• Carl K5HK
    Carl K5HK Member
    edited January 2019
    Mine to yesterday! 5band plus 30, 17 and 12m endorsed for 8 bands.  Never thought I could do it.....now concentrate on Top Band more!

73 and congrats!
    Carl K5HK
  • David - KO1C
    David - KO1C Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Congrats to you both! I'm still struggling for 1 band .....

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Still need 8 QSLs on 80M (108 wrkd/92 cfmd) for my 5BDXCC..

What do the new plaques look like?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tried to post picture earlier. Phone died before it could finish! image
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Nice! 

Now get busy on 160!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    160 is going to take a while. Only about 34 qsl’s on 160. Only about 14 on 6 Meters. They won’t come quickly since I am retiring this July 1st and moving 4 hours north, to near Ft. Wayne, Indiana. It will take a while to get a new set of antennas up.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Nice looking plaque, Ken.  Congrats!  They don't show a "number" any more?  Mine from back in April 2000 was # 4884.  Like you, I have 30m, 17m, and 12m as well, and 160 and 6 are both going to be a long way off.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Nice Ken, congrats!  It's going to be interesting to see how quickly FT8 users obtain this award.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Congrats Ken! I was up at headquarters this week and saw the new plaques. I have the old-style wooden one but I’m tempted to order one of the new ones.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Nice Ken! I want to order the 5BDXCC with 12,17,30 endorsements and the Challenge plaques. Now that they are redesigned it is motivation to order them. Dave wo2x
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The new plaque is almost identical to the paper award -- except that there are spaces for endorsements at the bottom.
    Andy, k2oo
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It's not as easy as some will imply .. Started doing FT8 December 6, since I have done 2.164 Q. 15 - 160 m, never been able to find an opening on 10 m. If needed I could use up to 500 Watts on all band but 160 m (300 W). Hexbeam and vertical antennas mainly.

In the logg are 92 countries and 74 of them confirmed on LOTW. I'll see if I can do a "worked" DXCC in 2 months and a confirmed DXCC within 3 :)
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Well done Ken, I can only aspire!

Tim
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    FT8 certainly helped me finish 80 and 12 Meters. 80 wa tough because of antenna and noise issues. 12 was tough because of lousy band conditions.

BTW: all my QSLs are LOTW for these awards. Without LOTW I never would have bothered to apply. I don’t have lots of DX QSL cards, because I won’t spend all the money to get them.
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    FB Ken.  My hat is off to you!  I've managed 4 band DXCC but 80m is a challenge for me.  I need to upgrade my 80m antenna and then once I retire (couple more years! yea!) I'll start in earnest for Top Band and 80 meters.  Most of my QSOs are CW.  Not a phone guy and FT8 isn't that much of a challenge.  Anyway, hope to catch you on the air sometime.  LoTW is the best! 

Tom
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My seasonal (fall/winter) 80 Meter Antenna is a simple inverted “L” 35ft. Up and about 30 over with two elevated radials about 8 ft off the ground. I drop the far end and add enough wire to resonate on 160 during the 160 contests. Simple but effective. But not his year, due to the rotator cuff injury and surgery. I currently have the 80 inverted “L” up but not the radials. Ken - NM9P
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    80 is usually the last band for basic 5BDXCC for most people. In fact, W1AW only a few years ago completed its 5BDXCC. They got the last few contacts on 80 they needed.
  • Tom - WQ5O
    Tom - WQ5O Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My main problem is staying awake late enough to chase DX on 80 or 160!  2100 rolls around and I'm dozing off ... 73 ...
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited January 2019
    And when you have to wake up @ 5:15 a.m. for work.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Congrats Ken!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.