Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5000A VU - No Receive, No Transmit

Andrew Sommers
Andrew Sommers Member ✭✭
I just got my new-to-me 5000A VU yesterday and after staying up all night getting the computer issues figured out it’s finally connected to PSDR. The problem now is that it doesn’t receive any signals, just a solid S9 on the panadapter and nothing on the signal meter. I tried switching antenna ports to no avail. I tried to transmit and while a relay clicks it does not actually put out any power, nor does it show to be. Any ideas or common issues I’m looking over?

Comments

• Marek Sz
    Marek Sz Member
    edited April 2019
    Hi, I have a question, how much you paid for the VU 5000A

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    From the sound of it... too much
  • Preston Mclaggan
    edited April 2019
    make you have the right antenna connected at the back De g4mla
  • Don K2PMC
    Don K2PMC Member
    edited April 2019
    Andrew, I don't have the Vu unit but I would make sure your firewire connection is working. There are utilities available to help you. I'm out of town now and unfortunately I don't remember the names. I do use the latest KE9NS version of PSDR and it is solid.
  • Andrew Sommers
    Andrew Sommers Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I took the radio to a friend’s house last weekend and swapped it in place of his 5000 and it worked fine. I’m suspicious of my FireWire cable and have ordered a new one to test it again on my computer.
  • Andrew Sommers
    Andrew Sommers Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    $1,500 plus shipping.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Andrew,

You should have noticed the 144 and the 430 MHz antenna connections on the rear ..   Antenna 1, 2 , and 3 are for HF,  below 54 MHz..    Also be careful of connecting the FW cable,  and yes it can go in upside down and is an instant radio failure and repair..    You should see the Flex 5000 showing up in the Setup ..  

Dudley

• Andrew Sommers
    Andrew Sommers Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It shows up in setup and the FlexRadio software shows everything is fine, but it’s just not giving me the receive or transmit info when it’s connected. I’m hoping a new FireWire cable fixes it.
  • Fred Friedl
    Fred Friedl Member
    edited May 2019
    I bought a 5000a w/VU5K from a Ham who was not careful how it was packed.  Long story short, after about a year of no VU I decided to inspect and found a ribbon cable on the underside of the main board was off its mounting position.  I restored the connection and now enjoy VHF and UHF.  As a side note.  The VU5K did not show up in setup hardware config.  So maybe yours is just loose.

Fred - WX4US
    Pensacola
  • Andrew Sommers
    Andrew Sommers Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I sorted it by building a new Windows PC and ditching the iMac. Radio works great now. image 73 all! Andrew - KD5FHW
  • Fred Friedl
    Fred Friedl Member
    edited May 2019
    Good to hear...no pun intended.
    Fred - WX4US

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.