Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5 meters on M radios

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
I assume this is a bug.

The manual says "The value displayed in each meter can be selected from a set of five meters by tapping on the meter."

On my 6600M I can hit the plus and get six meters. Nothing new to select so one would always be a duplicate I think.

Rich
kd0zv

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    It's a doc issue.  This was a holdover from the Maestro doc.  Thanks for pointing it out.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tim, not a software issue too?  Why have six meters on the 6600m when there are only 5 types?  At least I think so.  Unless one is for use on second panafall and I did not catch it.

Rich
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    I'm looking into it.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    FYI

• Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    That helps.  Looks like a bug.  I added it to the bug tracker as issue #6008
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    on the 6400M I can display more than 5 meters as well,  but they are duplicates! 
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    There are more meters depending on what hardware is present (aka Power Genius).  This also leaves room for expansion when/if we decide to add more meters.  :)
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    One can never have enough meters ;-)
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Don’t forget several meters for PG XL integration so you need the room for the extra meters. Dave wo2x
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2018
    Is that coder speak for, oop's we overlooked that! ? It's not a bug, it's a Feature!
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Well there is a mistake somewhere because  it does not match the manual :)

I can see having the extra space available but no reason to turn on extra duplicate meters unless the option (PGXL as an example) is installed.
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2018
    Someone didn't pay close attention and keep a count of Objects/Controls, as they are created or destroyed as needed. Simple coding error that even a truck driver could make! :-)
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Now that you have your radio, you are getting pretty sassy James :)

• James Whiteway
    edited February 2018
    Meeeeeeeeeeee??????? Yeah, you're probably right. But, I was writing code for my 6300 and then the 6500 when I had them. And errors like the above were common,,,,,,,unfortunately! But, since I was not only the coder, I was the Beta tester too. Plus, I was my only user! So, I could get away with stuff like that. But, I had to toss out a little tease at Steve and Eric too. (keeps them honest!)

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    At the time the documents were written, there were 5 distinct meters that could be assigned to any of the six slots.  The number of slots is set by the screen real estate; the number of meters that you can select from is determined by the configuration of the radio system.

For instance, when the PowerGenius XL amp is connected, three additional meters are available (I think it is three), so the six slots could be taken up quickly enough.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    Yes, threeadditional meters with PG XL Dave wo2x
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yea I get all that. But with "software" radios there is no reason to have one extra meter slot available for hardware not installed.   Since the PGXL has three, adding one appears to just be a mistake. No big deal.

Just trying to figure out a discrepancy from the manual.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2018
    As discussed in this morning's defect review, the engineers are much more likely to create more meters to fill that open slot than to remove an "extra" one.  ;)
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Eric.

Just to be clear, the -4V to  0V ALC is for the amplifier?  So there are 4 usable meters for the actual radio ?  I did not see this in the manual. Just this.

When the meters are displayed, the panadapter(s) are made narrower and move to the left side of the display; the meters are displayed on the right. “Plus” and “minus” buttons are displayed below the meters. Tapping the “plus” button adds a meter, tapping a “minus” button removes a meter. The value displayed in each meter can be selected from a set of five meters by tapping on the meter.

So just ignore two of the slots when dealing with radio only?

Rich

• Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2018
    The ALC is actually a radio meter for the ALC interface on the radio for use with older amplifiers that require an ALC circuit.  We do not use this with the Power Genius, nor is this interface recommended unless absolutely necessary.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Since there are 6 meters, can one be programmed to be a volt meter so one does not have to run a third party program?  I know it is going to take a software tweak to do this,
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    That is a good idea Rick. Dave wo2x
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited February 2018
    This is a reasonable ask and is certainly technically possible.  I will put this in our system (#6046).
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Temp would be nice as well :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.