4O3A Power Genius - Info

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I see that the Power Genius is at the Flex booth.  Is there a data sheet and pricing available?  I've seen the available info on line.  I still have a couple questions:

- Pricing?
- Is there a companion tuner built in or other wise?
- Availability?

Thanks in advance to anyone that is there.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1302 Posts
  • 663 Reply Likes

Ranko 4o3a has a Facebook page on the units and more info at:

http://new.4o3a.com/index.php/products/power-genius-XL/

Not very happy looking - protruding (read: vulnerable to breakage) knob, 1980 looking display (Nixies would at least be steampunk) and a 1970 throw-back case design. 

But given that it likely to go in a rack with the Flex-6000 in many instances the showy part maybe isn't a big deal?

Specs look very good but no real detail yet.  Maybe very soon?

Steve K9ZW

Photo of KD4HSO

KD4HSO

• 52 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm sure it's very nice on the inside, but I'm sorry, that thing is ugly.  Looks like someone took a PC case and slapped on some knobs from Radio Shack.

http://4o3a.com/index.php/products/power-genius-XL/

Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 268 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
I agree. The 6000 series is beautiful I imagined a clean case , very similar to the look for the 6000 series
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3492 Reply Likes
This is an engineering prototype.  Thr final production version will be different and look more like the FLEX Signature Series products.
Photo of Steve (N9SKM)

Steve (N9SKM)

• 198 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Agreed, LCD screens are not hard to implement these days and i would far prefer a flat front panel. Even if they wanted to put a grill on the front with a filter.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I'm disappointed in the looks as well, but if it works as advertised I'd get over it.  If I get one it will be rack mounted and out of the way.

Steve, N9SKM, I owe you a qsl card from our QSO when Doug (W9PN) was over.

Rich - N5ZC

Photo of Steve (N9SKM)

Steve (N9SKM)

• 198 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I still have a big stack of the old ones, Just ordered a batch with the new call on them from Global QSL. He needs to get back on the air, I could actually have a simple qso with him in CW now. Did you order a Maestro?
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I ordered the Maestro when I ordered the 6700 in February, I'm hoping to have it before IARU in mid-July.

Doug is still in the process of unpacking and getting his new house in order.  He's chomping at the bit to get antennas up.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Steve (N9SKM)

Steve (N9SKM)

• 198 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Rf runs in his veins, Just need to get him a 6500! I paid my invoice Monday so it should ship early next week. I pre ordered last year thwn i bought the 6300, which has now turned into a 6500.
N9SKM- Steve
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 815 Posts
  • 1467 Reply Likes
Don't worry. The beauty currently is on the inside. It will look like a FlexRadio before it ships. We will put our a more formal announcement when time permits. We are totally and utterly swamped in Dayton.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Gerald,  I just posted pic's of the back of the unit which looks very solid.  Found them on a twitter feed.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 808 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
thank goodness. ;-). 
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
A couple pics of the rear of the unit, the power supply looks like a neat way to go, replaceable if needed.

https://twitter.com/Force12super/status/732726997009371136

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Steve (N9SKM)

Steve (N9SKM)

• 198 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Business in the back! Modular power supply is a win win. Should be cheaper for the company to use an off the shelf unit, and easier service if needed.
Photo of Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

• 200 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
If it had an integrated antenna tuner it would storm the market Especially for remote work. Still will stick with my expert amp but really really like the integration with the Flex
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1302 Posts
  • 663 Reply Likes

Ranko 4o3a told me that the design will allow for an optional antenna tuner.

As an SO2R targeted amp that may be interesting - perhaps two tuners?

He told me it is intended for remote use. 

My in home shack may become just fiber Ethernet and some control wiring out to a tower base "real shack" with the 6700, 4o3a devices & amp and power supplies.

So cool!

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Steve (N9SKM)

Steve (N9SKM)

• 198 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
The more people that adapt to ethernet the better. All this serial stuff is lame haha
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 808 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
An optional antenna tuner will be a highly desirable feature for competitive remote operations.  I hope the amp is released with the option  available.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1302 Posts
  • 663 Reply Likes

Wondering of the SO2R version will include two independent tuners?

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9153 Posts
  • 3492 Reply Likes
Photo of Gary Wise

Gary Wise

• 76 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Hmmm. The guy on the left is holding  "Topless Mike Boom". I'm not sure I want to work him topless (!!!!!?).
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 560 Posts
  • 165 Reply Likes
I was considering a SPE FA-2K but may hold off to see this amp completed and do some comparing.  Sure would be nice to know some rough time frame when distribution may start.   
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Posted on another thread...target date at the end of this year.
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 560 Posts
  • 165 Reply Likes
And good to hear Gerald will be repackaging the 403A Amp.  It's current packaging looks similar to a 80's era VCR. :)
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 93 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Im on the waiting list for a SPE 1.3-FA. Now I am rethinking that! Decisions.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 183 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Ditto Kent.

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Greg Zenger [N2GZ]

Greg Zenger [N2GZ]

• 36 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Some more unofficial and possibly wrong information:

A lower power (500-1200 watts ???) version of the power genius may be available later on.

I overheard a target price of $6000-$7000 and availability toward the end of this year.  This is competitive with some of the other offerings out there:

Manitou Systems Inc. (W1SMS) was showing off an Italian amplifier with similar specifications that he will be distributing (and providing full service for) later this year once FCC approvals are done. Model is the HF2000 which is 2kW HF, 1.6kW on 6m, Full duty cycle, IP ready, no antenna tuner. Target price sounded like about $1k less than the Power Genius, though no SO2R options or direct FlexRadio/SmartSDR integration.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
I might be interested in a lower power version if it is SO2R compatible and compatible with my wallet. I am afraid that the full blown unit is above my pay grade....
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3595 Posts
  • 1450 Reply Likes

Need MORE ANTENNA PORTS

I currently have a Expert 2K-FA which has 2 Input Port and 4 antenna output ports, a built in tuner. and plenty of headroom with a Key Down of 2,300+W

It would appear that the 4O3A Amp with 2 x 1,400W LDMOS Transistors that the power headroom will not be an issue and the unit should have superb IMD Characteristics when dumbed down to USA legal limits..

BUT with only 2 inputs and 2 outputs it would seem to me that one would require something like an external Antenna Genius to be able to switch all the usual station antennas.

So If possible I would love an option to replace the SO2R with more antenna ports.

Photo of Greg Zenger [N2GZ]

Greg Zenger [N2GZ]

• 36 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I recognize your desire to have one device that fits your specific needs, but that does detract from the flexibility of the product line.

SO2R switching needs to be in the amplifier to achieve the fastest band switching times possible, which is necessary for SO2R with one amplifier.  I doubt the cost and realestate of the SO2R relays is enough to warrant a version without the SO2R option.

I bet a big part of the market for a legal limit amplifier has more than a handful of antennas, I know that my current amplifier has 4 antenna ports. If it had 8, id be happy, but it doesn't, so I use one one and break it out to 8 with an external switch. And when the next few antennas go in and I have more than 8... well im glad I only have to worry about my stand alone antenna switching devices.

Its also easier to layout and wireup the station when all of your antenna coaxials dont need to be plumbed all the way to the amplifier.  This is probably more important to me than the logistics of programming my antenna switching software.

I like products that do one thing, and do it well. Then you can play system engineer and select the ones that fit your needs the best, wire them up and be happy.  Now you arent stuck paying for options you dont need and wont end up using. 

Disclaimer: The following reveals unofficial and possibly wrong information, as well as some pure speculation...

Another thing I heard from 4O3A was that he is working on a Antenna Tuner accessory for the amplifier. Perhaps this might have some additional antenna ports (but then again, why not keep it simple... after all there are antenna switches that do a dandy job of switching antennas).  As an avid DXer and contester, most of my antennas do not require an antenna tuner.  Maybe 160m and sometimes 80m where I don't have full band < 2:1 SWR coverage.  An antenna tuner is an option I dont specifically need.   Now for the ham that has a 43 foot vertical and a few multi band dipoles, a tuner might a desired option... and this tuner probably could benefit from some internal antenna switches.  However, maybe its in the best interest of this type ham to be spending his money on upgrading his antennas rather than buying a QRO amplifier.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4035 Posts
  • 1251 Reply Likes
I am contemplating eliminating my Ameritron remote antenna switch and replacing it with an antenna genius mounted at the base of my tower. Gerald gave me this idea. At about $700 vs $300+ for the Ameritron, I will get 8 positions and full control, even under remote operation, instead of only 4 and difficult remote control ops. It looks like a reasonable value for the money. It may be a while, but I am beginning to make advanced plans.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9153 Posts
  • 3492 Reply Likes
Official Response
We understand and appreciates everyone's desire to know more details about the amp, but at this point, we do not have a lot to share publically. We will provide details such as product configuration, possible tuner options, pictures of the production unit, specs and availability once the amp has passed FCC and CE certifications which should be later this year.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.