Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

4K TCL TV as Monitor

Comments

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It doesn't look like there is any additional application. Just window placement of a bunch of apps on a screen like normal.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Thanks Danny. Will test it this weekend.

Tim

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I got the 65 inch version of the TCL Roku from Costco. It is very, very nice. I got so hooked on it that I am considering the same one for work.  See photo. I believe all of these TCL Roku Tvs support Choma 4:4:4 which is what you need (HDMI v2).

I can imagine that 49 inches may be too small to run 4k resolution with 100% sizing on Windows. You could increase sizing but some applications do not look great in 125 or 150...  If you have the space, I suggest to go bigger than 49.  

Thanks
    Andyimage
    KU7T

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm running 100% sizing on my 49 inch and am very happy. Don't think I could stand the 65 inch :) Video card Nvidia 1070ti rig 6600 
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Typo in my last message. I am using a 55 TCL (not a 65) and it is perfect.

Andy
    KU7T
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you all. I have the Samsung 40” 4K TV running with one input for the Geochron and the second as my 4th monitor. 73 Tim VE6SH
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Look's amazing with those large, or supersized one might say, monitors. But as a contester and always thinking about redundancy, I'm not sure it's for me? With two SBS 24", or even larger monitors, I can very quickly move a program from one to the other, should one monitor decide to go down. But gosch .. that supersized monitor, it does look amazing!
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have been looking at 4k mainly for this...http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/geochron-digital-4k-uhd-review.616465/

Thought it would look cool in the shack but am also thinking that a bigger monitor would be nice to use when having multiple programs running like when running WSJT and SSDR and the HRD log all going at the same time. So will I need to replace the video card in my computer too? It has HDMI output but not sure which version. Walmart has this on sale...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-49-Class-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-HDR-Smart-LED-TV-49H6E/166752596 for $220 but not sure if it is 4x4x4.

Any help is appreciated.

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I share Rick's interest in clarifying whether the Hisense 49" 4K TV is/is not 4:4:4 chroma compliant.  Is there some straightforward solution for determining whether a particular 4K TV does/does not have 4:4:4?  I've searched multiple manufacturers, but the published specifications rarely divulge whether a particular TV is 4:4:4 compliant.
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I had posted a link to a great website that had a lot of details on a large number of tv’s and included a good display show the difference between a 4:4:2 and 4:4:4 chroma tv, big difference... take a serious look at TCL tv’s. Costco has a 49” for $319 which is what I have and it’s tack sharp.... even the finest of text.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Saw the HiSense versus the TCL at Costco
    Like the HiSense, has better viewing at an Angle rather being directly in front of it
    compared to TCL, Not Sure if HiSense has 4:4:4, maybe someone can verify it
    Looking seriously at the Sony X720E 49" at $549, very nice, great off angle viewing
    73 Mike
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    What’s the model number of the HiSense?
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    49H6E
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Google “The 5 Best 4k TVs For PC Monitors” and a wed site www.ratings.com will come up. Or the 82 TV’s reviewed for use as a monitor, HiSense did not come up. I would guess it does not have the 4:4:4 chroma spec. Send me the model number and i’ll Find out.

Why would you want a TV that looks better at an angle vs being right in front of it??? Even if you put it off to the side wouldn’t you still angel it so you can view it directly vs at a angle? Don’t get hung up on the brand. I never heard of TCL until I started looking at reviews. For the money it’s hands down a fantastic tv for the money and I couldn’t be happier with my set up!
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    As I mentioned in a previous post,, I went with the LG, 49", 4K, HDR ,4:4:4 from Costco.. Been using it for over a month and so far pure perfection!! Also LG has BlueTooth connectivity and a few other neat items.. This is considered a 2018 model..

LG SPEC,,, (Only UHD models) • ( ) Picture Additional Settings HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color - On : Support 4K @ 60 Hz (4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0) - Off : Support 4K @ 60 Hz 8 bit (4:2:0) If the device connected to Input Port also supports ULTRA HD Deep Color, your picture may be clearer. However, if the device doesn’t support it, it may not work properly. In that case, change the TV’s HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting to off. - 

https://www.costco.com/LG-50-Class-49.6-Diag.-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100409711.html?langId=-...
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ok, I found a post where someone was looking at that HiSense and the TCL... it indicates that the HiSense does not have 4:4:4 chroma feature... Quote from AttA3266 Which one do you reckon is better ? This or the 49" HiSense at https://slickdeals.net/f/11607315-49-hisense-49h6e-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-led-hdtv-2018-model-219-99-free-shipping-walmart ? The reason this tcl gets a lot of attention is because of chroma 4:4:4, which makes it a much better computer monitor. Hope this helps! Rob - AK7RM
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Rob!
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It’s nice when I can actually contribute to this group. I fell like such a techie **** compaired to most of the folks on here.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Since some people have asked about the graphics card, I upgraded my PC with a GTX 1050i card (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and together with the TCL 55, working great.

Andy
    KU7T
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have the exact same graphic card, in a Dell i7 quad core PC. Works really well with my 49” TCL, great set up!
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited June 2018
    Visit this website for best TV monitors for PC's

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

73 Mike

Best viewig Angle & Chroma 4:4:4 is the Sony X720E Top Pick 

imageimage
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

I picked up the 40" version of the LG MU6300 (Perfect size for where I have it located). It was a floor model at BestBuy and the sales guy demoed it on a PC for me. Price was a definite factor as it was heavily discounted as a demo, but while it scores mid-range for a TV it does do well as a monitor:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6300

I am driving this with a GX970 video card. I have one HDMI input set for my Geochron clock and the second as a monitor  so I can easily switch to PC mode and the video card detects it as the 4th monitor (I have one 34" wide for SSDR and two 27" for logging programs etc). I can switch the SSDR display to the 4K when needed.

Tim VE6SH

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    TV sets today, 4K HDR capabilities are mostly fine or even excellent when used as a Computer Monitor or for the Flex Radio... With HDMI 1080P output from the Flex, almost all TV sets will do a great job... 

Now where it changes dramatically, is when you are using a TV set, say 65" for watching TV, or Blue Ray and most importantly 4K HDR or Dolby Vision,, or fast moving sports... Then all these TV sets begin to separate out quite a bit!!!

And in most cases you definitely get what you pay for in these high end TV sets.. When Visio introduced its 2017 70" TV sets for 50% less then Samsung, Sony, LG everyone was excited that finally they were going to get a Super TV set, fantastic Picture with none of the picture anomalies that were evident in so many TV sets!! After all it was 2017!!! 

So watching the Blogs, it didn't take long for all the Negative posting to show up.. Along came the famous Panel Swapping, or I will return these till I get a good Panel,, one person returned 2 Visio for a third till Best Buy said, sorry no more returns.. This was due to just making cheap panel that had a lot of flaws in it.. Visio figured that folks, uneducated, would jump in at the big screen and low price.. 

Now Visio does have some decent TV sets in its lineup, and they are as expensive as the other brands due to higher quality panels.. Their is a reason the OLED from LG led the way in Picture Quality and Sony decided to add OLED TV sets to its lineup last year, and they were not cheap!!!

For me the most disappointing thing was when most manufacturers removed 3D from their TV sets.. I have about 40 3D movies in my collection and they look great with my Active 3D glasses... My TV set is the Sony 75"  ZD9  ,, it has 3D, and I hope will last many years for it and its picture quality satisfy my needs.. When the grand-kids come over, they always ask to see a 3D movie!!! 

Radios, TV sets, Cars, Golf Clubs, Fishing Equipment, Boats, well the list goes on and to each their own preferences,, after all Variety is the spice of life.... And how much one spends depends on a lot of personal preference for its application! :-)  

Need to go cut the grass now, with my 15 year old beat up piece of XXXX Toro lawn mower.. Some tools just need to be run till it just Dies!!!! :-)  

Robert
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2018
    Just got the 4K UHD Upscaling TCL 4K TV 55inch Screen from Costco 

Great Buy at $369 !

Works Great with the Flex6600M 

Get it before additional 25% tariff is added soon !
    https://www.ft.com/content/81c16f9a-28eb-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0

73 Mike
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Mine was a LG from Costco, wanted the Blue Tooth capabilities for other application... Decided to enhance my 4K TV set dedicated to Ham Radio,, but does have a computer input and Cable TV box as well...

Now I just purchased a Geochron 4K UHD World Clock,, might as well take full advantage of the 4K TV set!!! The September QST has a full review of it.. I have several Clocks in the shack,, but decided to bite the bullet on this new addition... Not cheap at $400,, but hey,,, it is just Ham Radio!!! :-) 

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited August 2018

Great Buy at $369 !
    TCL 55" 4k UHD Roku TV Costco In-Store (model 55S403/55S405) 

Works Great with the Flex6600M 

73 Mike
  • Mark - N4MKA
    Mark - N4MKA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I am in the market for a few 4K displays and here is a resource I found that I thought I found informative and I thought I would share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwS0fftQAFc&t=24s&fbclid=IwAR3gOXk0D0pmbepQujzgctna4_7pb7a97...
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks Mark. Great video.

A 55" 4K TV with non compressed video (4:4:4 chroma), and support for a PC/Game mode does show SmartSDR for Windows beautifully - however text is not as sharp as on a standard 24 inch HD monitor when viewed at a reading distance of 2.5 ft.   

John AF3K
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you are going to be 2.5 feet from the monitor you shouldn’t have a 55”tv, it’s not meant to be viewed that close. I have the 49” TCL and it’s awesome viewing the panadapters on this monitor and th small print is rendered extremely well... Rob AK7RM
  • Rob Monsipapa
    Rob Monsipapa Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Correct Danny

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.