4K TCL TV as Monitor

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
A recent Google search for using a 4K TV as a monitor found a low-cost TV near the top of the ratings.  It is a TCL Model 43S405.  It is one of the few that has the 4:4:4 chroma requirement for monitor use.  It is now on sale at Amazon and Target for $299 and free shipping from Amazon with prime.  Some Target stores have this TV in stock. The input is HDMI 2.0, so one needs a high-speed HDMI cable ($6 on Amazon) and a recent graphics card with HDMI 2.0 output.  The GT 1030 - based cards go for $90 - $120 on Amazon, Newegg and Best Buy.  EVGA has an outlet store called B-Stock that sometimes has deals on cards.

The result is excellent, sharp graphics and print from 2' away. I can have 4 screens simultaneously each the same size as my original 21" 1080 monitor, or several more than 4 with resizing - each sharp and readable. The Flex SmartDSR screen at 4K resolution on the full 43" screen is a sight to behold!

Dave, W8OQ
Photo of W8OQ

W8OQ

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 366 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
TV sets today, 4K HDR capabilities are mostly fine or even excellent when used as a Computer Monitor or for the Flex Radio... With HDMI 1080P output from the Flex, almost all TV sets will do a great job... 

Now where it changes dramatically, is when you are using a TV set, say 65" for watching TV, or Blue Ray and most importantly 4K HDR or Dolby Vision,, or fast moving sports... Then all these TV sets begin to separate out quite a bit!!!

And in most cases you definitely get what you pay for in these high end TV sets.. When Visio introduced its 2017 70" TV sets for 50% less then Samsung, Sony, LG everyone was excited that finally they were going to get a Super TV set, fantastic Picture with none of the picture anomalies that were evident in so many TV sets!! After all it was 2017!!! 

So watching the Blogs, it didn't take long for all the Negative posting to show up.. Along came the famous Panel Swapping, or I will return these till I get a good Panel,, one person returned 2 Visio for a third till Best Buy said, sorry no more returns.. This was due to just making cheap panel that had a lot of flaws in it.. Visio figured that folks, uneducated, would jump in at the big screen and low price.. 

Now Visio does have some decent TV sets in its lineup, and they are as expensive as the other brands due to higher quality panels.. Their is a reason the OLED from LG led the way in Picture Quality and Sony decided to add OLED TV sets to its lineup last year, and they were not cheap!!!

For me the most disappointing thing was when most manufacturers removed 3D from their TV sets.. I have about 40 3D movies in my collection and they look great with my Active 3D glasses... My TV set is the Sony 75"  ZD9  ,, it has 3D, and I hope will last many years for it and its picture quality satisfy my needs.. When the grand-kids come over, they always ask to see a 3D movie!!! 

Radios, TV sets, Cars, Golf Clubs, Fishing Equipment, Boats, well the list goes on and to each their own preferences,, after all Variety is the spice of life.... And how much one spends depends on a lot of personal preference for its application! :-)  

Need to go cut the grass now, with my 15 year old beat up piece of XXXX Toro lawn mower.. Some tools just need to be run till it just Dies!!!! :-)  

Robert
Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 480 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Just got the 4K UHD Upscaling TCL 4K TV 55inch Screen from Costco 

Great Buy at $369 !

Works Great with the Flex6600M 

Get it before additional 25% tariff is added soon !
https://www.ft.com/content/81c16f9a-28eb-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0

73 Mike
Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 480 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes

Great Buy at $369 !
TCL 55" 4k UHD Roku TV Costco In-Store (model 55S403/55S405) 

Works Great with the Flex6600M 

73 Mike
Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 366 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Mine was a LG from Costco, wanted the Blue Tooth capabilities for other application... Decided to enhance my 4K TV set dedicated to Ham Radio,, but does have a computer input and Cable TV box as well...

Now I just purchased a Geochron 4K UHD World Clock,, might as well take full advantage of the 4K TV set!!! The September QST has a full review of it.. I have several Clocks in the shack,, but decided to bite the bullet on this new addition... Not cheap at $400,, but hey,,, it is just Ham Radio!!! :-) 

Photo of Mark - N4MKA

Mark - N4MKA

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am in the market for a few 4K displays and here is a resource I found that I thought I found informative and I thought I would share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwS0fftQAFc&t=24s&fbclid=IwAR3gOXk0D0pmbepQujzgctna4_7pb7a97...
Photo of John - AF3K

John - AF3K

• 147 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Thanks Mark. Great video.

A 55" 4K TV with non compressed video (4:4:4 chroma), and support for a PC/Game mode does show SmartSDR for Windows beautifully - however text is not as sharp as on a standard 24 inch HD monitor when viewed at a reading distance of 2.5 ft.   

John AF3K
Photo of Rob Monsipapa

Rob Monsipapa

• 39 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
If you are going to be 2.5 feet from the monitor you shouldn’t have a 55”tv, it’s not meant to be viewed that close. I have the 49” TCL and it’s awesome viewing the panadapters on this monitor and th small print is rendered extremely well...

Rob AK7RM
Photo of Ed N5DG

Ed N5DG

• 63 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I see Best Buy has the TCL Model:49S405 on sell for $299 , the ad calls it 
TCL - 49" Class - LED - 4 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR 
I want to be sure I'm buying the correct TV with 4.4.4 Chroma ? What has me confused is this is the only ad I see that calls this TV the ( 4 Series ) 
Can someone tell me if this is 4.4.4 Chroma please 

Thanks Ed N5DG
Photo of Rob Monsipapa

Rob Monsipapa

• 39 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

If you went to the link I posted you can find it there but here is what it says (YES on the Chroma 4:4:4)

Supported Resolutions

What it is: Different resolutions supported by TV.
When it matters: PC monitor usage.
Score components:
  • 17% 1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4
  • 17% 1080p @ 120Hz
  • 17% 1440p @ 60Hz
  • 17% 4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4
  • 16% 4k @ 60Hz
  • 16% 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4

Score distribution:

1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4          
   ✕ What it is: Crisp text on 1080p @ 60 hz signal.
When it matters: PC productivity and 60 fps gaming. 

: Yes       1080p @ 120Hz

✕ What it is: 120 fps 1080p signal supported.
When it matters: PC gaming. 

: No       1440p @ 60Hz

✕ What it is: 60 fps 1440p signal supported.
When it matters: PC productivity and gaming. 

: Yes      4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4

✕ What it is: Crisp text on 4k @ 30 hz signal.

: Yes       4k @ 60Hz

✕ What it is: 60 fps 4k signal supported.

: Yes       4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4

✕  What it is: Crisp text on 4k @ 60 hz signal.
When it matters: Productivity and 60 fps gaming in 4k. 

: Yes       4k @ 120Hz

✕ What it is: 4k 120Hz signal supported
When it matters: PC gaming 

: No
Most resolutions are supported. 4k @ 60 Hz is only supported when the HDMI input used is set to HDMI 2.0 in the TV's settings. 4:4:4 color is displayed properly in all picture modes.

The TV's 4:2:0 color support is inconsistent. 4:2:0 isn't displayed properly from some sources, such as a PC (whites turn pink, scanlines), while our HDR Blu-ray player had no such issue. This inconsistency could be a problem for 4k @ 60 Hz sources that only support HDMI 1.4, as 4:2:0 is needed for these sources to remain within the bandwidth cap of HDMI 1.4.

Update 07/18/2017: The TV only shows 4:4:4 color properly when in 'PC mode'. Sharpness also has no effect in PC mode, even though the slider can still be changed. For most sources PC mode is activated by changing the input's icon to 'Computer'. For a PC, if the TV detects a PC as its source it forces PC mode, and this cannot be avoided except by intercepting the AVI infoframes sent from the PC. Changing the input's icon does not avoid this forced PC mode. This behavior was not known during initial testing, leading to the incorrect assumption that 4:4:4 color is displayed properly in all modes.

(Edited)
Photo of Ed N5DG

Ed N5DG

• 63 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Rob, Thanks for ur post , Best Buy had the 49" (49s405) TLC on sell for $299.99 so I have a new 4K in the box waiting for my video card to be delivered from Newegg . I read ur review and one other on the   EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING card 
 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487290
The HDMI 2.0 cable is coming from Amazon , so by Tue or Wen I should be up and going ... Thids is going to be nice 
Tnx Ed N5DG
Photo of Rob Monsipapa

Rob Monsipapa

• 39 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
It’s going to put a smile on your face every Tim you boot it up!!! Keep me posted.
Photo of Mark - N4MKA

Mark - N4MKA

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I finally popped for a 43" 4K TV to use with my Flex. I have not compared it to many other displays and probably don't know what I am missing by picking up a cheapy Naxa NT-4302k 43" 4k Ultra HD Led TV, but WOW. It looks really good at 3840 x 2160 on my GeForce GTX 1050 TI video card. I got it for $160 on special at Frys Electronics.

Photo of Rob Monsipapa

Rob Monsipapa

• 39 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Mark, you made a good choice, I have the 49" TCL and the same video card in my Dell, the resolution on the very smallest of text is outstanding...  You'll enjoy it, probably wish you went bigger, unless your space restricted! 

Enjoy
Rob - AK7RM
Photo of Mark - N4MKA

Mark - N4MKA

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, very happy so far. I have (2) 27" monitors and the (1) 43" 4k display. I plan on using the 43" primarily for radio stuff. I won't say I never will want a larger one. Space is not a primary issue. I just hope I don't ever need a big magnifying glass to see it some day:)

Photo of Robert Lonn

Robert Lonn

• 366 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
AND!!!!! If you want to show off that 4K screen resolution, you need one of these!!!!

https://www.geochron.com/4k/

Photo of Mark - N4MKA

Mark - N4MKA

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I will have to add that to the list.