Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

40 Meter Waterfall Ghost

John Kenney
John Kenney Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I received my shiny new 6400 this week and I've been busy tackling the Flex-newbie learning curve. I'm seeing a strange "ghost image" on the 40-meter waterfall. I'm listening to a QSO on 7.192. At about 7.330, there's a vertical stripe that looks like a modulated audio scope trace (for lack of a better description). If I move to another 40 meter frequency, the "ghost" moves down the dial too. Before I embarass myself by submitting a trouble ticket, is there anything "dumb" I might be doing do cause such distortion. The problem does not appear on any other band (that I've seen - yet). I'm attaching a YouTube video since I'm sure my description has everyone scratching their heads... thanks in advance for any advice.      

Answers

• John Kenney
    John Kenney Member
    edited March 2018
    Looks like the URL didn't make it in my original post... JK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_yT0CA6hc&sns=em
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    John, this looks like you have a power supply problem. The supply is generating RFI that only shows up on 40 meters.
    When you modulate, the RFI follows your voice. I suggest you try a different supply.
    I have found wall wart supply's that generate "ghosts" but none that moved with my modulation.
    If you don't find relief with another supply, Flex is the best at helping out. 
    Roy - W5TKZ 
  • John Kenney
    John Kenney Member
    edited December 2019
    Roy. it looks like you hit a homerun on your first swing. I thought you misunderstood that the problem was during receive, not on transmit - but I changed out the power supply anyway. With a differrent supply, there are no ghosts on 40. Problem solved. The dirty power supply MIGHT be the culprit on another gremlin I'm chasing. I sure hope so... MANY THANKS!!! John /  WB5NFC

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    A swing and a hit! Good advice Roy. You get a "like" ;)
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Curious which supply is offending?
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Isn't it nice to have a better understanding of the band with the pan adapter? We pretty much float around blindly without it.
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    John, yes I did not understand you were in receive only. I use another Flex to monitor my signal when I have a problem...silly me. Glad the change out of the supply took care of the problem. Have fun..73

Roy -- W5TKZ
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I am having a noise spike issue only on 40 meters with my new 6400M. When I first tune it on from a cold start, the receiver is good, no noise spikes. I can be in listen mode for several hours and the noise spikes do not appear. However as soon as I transmit, the noise spikes appear and do not go away. A reboot does not eliminate the noise spikes, Only when the 6400M is power off for several hours and then powered on are the noise spikes gone. Then when I transmit they immediately reappear. I tried different power supplies, (Astron 35 amp and MJF25 amp) and even a deep cycle 12V 100 amp battery. Same issue. Also when I disconnect my antenna from the 6400M , the noise spikes disappear, then reappear when the antenna is reconnected. It appears the noise is coming into the receiver via the antenna. It seams like there is some front end oscillation occurring right after transmitting.

• Ron WD5FUN
    Ron WD5FUN Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I was also on 7.192 at the same time and am on there every evening for the Nightwatch Net.  The noise that you can see and hear is frequently there.  I can see it on my IC-7300, so it is not a problem with your radio.  We have been unable to identify the noise source, but it is not local to your station.  People all over the Eastern half of the US see it also.  You will see lots of strange things on your waterfall so don't get excited.  The noise moves up or down and will eventually move out of your pass band. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.