Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

3000, firewire

n5dww
n5dww Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Firewire connection quit working. Do the cables go bad? it hasn't been moved in 5 years. the card shows no problems. The radio powers up but not seen by the program. I have another cables ordered to make sure the cable isn't bad before I decide to send it in for repair. Am i wasting my time and money for repairs? Does the radio have a fuse for the firewire connection that could be blown? Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 
?

Answers

• Pierre Martel
    Pierre Martel Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Can be the firewire card, can be a driver that been updated by windows. 

• n5dww
    n5dww Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for rely. Should I see in the drive properties of the flex driver or Microsoft driver. I used and followed the 272 install procedure software to make sure it was installed correctly. 
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Can be one or both ends or the cable in between. 
    Replacing a cable with a spare is the first test. 
    If that fails test the firewire card on the computer end. 
    I've had them fail. The firewire chip on the 3000 end can go bad too. 
    I've read of all these over the years. 
    Good Luck.  

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Try uninstalling your fire wire card driver, then shut down PC and reboot,  see if Windows reloads the driver, then try radio again. What chip set is yore fire-wire card, VIA, Texas instruments.etc
  • n5dww
    n5dww Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    the original FW card. Ill give it a try.
  • n5dww
    n5dww Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    yes microsoft reinstalled the driver.

flex info:

Vendor : (104C) Texas Instruments  Chipset: (8024) TSB43AB23
      Revision: 00
      Details:
        Subsysten VendorId: 14db
        Subsystem DeviceId: 0000
        Max # isoch Rx contexts: 4
        Max # isoch Tx contexts: 8
      Max 1394 Speed Capability: S400
      Support:  Compatible, no known issue
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Did it work afterwards? , question , I had an issue with my 3000 where the  fire-wire jack became loose the outer shell l that surrounds the jack wasn't holding the input cable firmly and allowed it to tilt some this caused intermittent connections to the radio, have you tried unplugging the radio end and re attaching

• Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sounds more like a WIN issue after an update. Also check the drivers for the firewire card in Device manager. Do hard reset on the Flex too.
  • n5dww
    n5dww Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Good and solid reversed the ends too
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Bob,
    There is a green LED light between the FW port and the PTT RCA connector ON THE INSIDE,  that is a FW status indicator ,   check for this green light,   but you can only see the reflections from the rear when looking directly at the rear of the radio..  With everything (radio and computer running and connected)  you should see the green reflection ..  If the radio is powering up correctly,  relays pulling up and the blue power light on the front,  then there should be a green reflection seen around the FW connector and the PTT in RCA connector,  if not , the FW chip in the radio has failed and will need to be sent in to Flex Service for repair,  create a HelpDesk ticket. 

• ei3gqb
    ei3gqb Member
    edited July 2018
    Hi bob Got a flex3000 from a ham friend for zero..it was not seen by the pc...turned out to be a dead firewire controller chip...also dead eas the overload protection chip and one other passive rf choke...cost of the 3 new components was €18 ...repair was done for me by nearest flex repair center in Germany..total cost was €198....radio returned in perfect working order....you may have the same problem..contact your nearest flex repair center and send it off to them...ps..i didnt have to send payment for my 3k till i got it back...regards francis ei3gqb.
  • ei3gqb
    ei3gqb Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi bob Got a flex3000 from a ham friend for zero..it was not seen by the pc...turned out to be a dead firewire controller chip...also dead eas the overload protection chip and one other passive rf choke...cost of the 3 new components was €18 ...repair was done for me by nearest flex repair center in Germany..total cost was €198....radio returned in perfect working order....you may have the same problem..contact your nearest flex repair center and send it off to them...ps..i didnt have to send payment for my 3k till i got it back...regards francis ei3gqb.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You mean he should send it off for repair before he goes through all the trouble shooting? such as what Dudly suggest.
  • ei3gqb
    ei3gqb Member
    edited July 2018
    Bob may end having to do so..my led near the firewire socket was illuminated even though the firewire ic was dead...but by all means bob should rule out the other possible faults...nb.the forewire ic is a texas instruments device...73's
  • n5dww
    n5dww Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I will check for the light before I go forward, thanks!
  • n5dww
    n5dww Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I am 150 miles from Flex in Austin. Might drive it up there. Thanks
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Added comment, should the FW status light stay on when disconnected, this is also a failure of the internal FW interface. Grounding between computer and radio to your station ground is very important. 73 , Dudley
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Dudley brought up an excellent point, I had a fire wire cable go bad the only reason I noticed it was when I disconnected my ground strapping that I had from the 3000 to the computer at that time. With the ground wire disconnected the flex would not be seen by the software, if I re-connected the grounding strap the 3000 would properly work. So worth a shot take a piece of wire if your not already doing so and ground your computer to the rig and try it.  If it works then the cable you have has gone bad. BTW this happened  with the recommended Granite brand fire-wire cable which I wasn't happy about.

• Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi Dudley,

I may have the same problem.  This my 3rd Flex 3000 over the last 5 years so I think or, at least, I thought I knew this radio.  Anyway, first of all, I see the green reflection around the FW connection in the back of the radio when it is powered on.  All was fine until this past Friday when I attempted to start the radio and got the "No devices found" message.  At first, I thought it was the FW card gone bad.  I purchased a new FW card from Amazon and got the same result.  I tried my spare FW cable and received the same result.  I then attempted to connect to my two other computers and the same result.  Two of the computers are Win10 and one is Win7 all with the same result.  Blue light is on in the front of the radio and I do hear the relay click when it is powering up.  I'm stumped.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
    KK2L
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited July 2019
    The Win7 computer is running the Legacy driver for 1394.
  • Mark Gottlieb
    Mark Gottlieb Member
    edited July 2019
    This is a new one for me but I did connect a wire from the Flex 3000 Ground to one of the bolts on the computer and still have no connectivity with the radio.  Of course, the radio is grounded as are all the other rigs in the station.  I attempted this with my man FW cable and the back-up cable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.